Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn Air Conditioner

arty

Reaction score
Hi there all,
I'm a first timer to the site...
I have a problem with my air conditioner in my VN 1989 Commordore. It's simple it just doesn't work. I have had the hole thing overhauled with new gas, rubbers, condenser.
After a year now it doesn't work again.
Just wondering if anyone has any ideas or clues for fixing it. The last time I spend close to $300 but I feel if I send it back to the repairer I'll just get the same result as last time.
When I press the A/C button there is no cold air and you can tell that the air con is not on.

I hope you guys can help.....

Seeya

Arty

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
Just to get started, try using a small split pin or wire to connect the two pins on the electrical connector going to the low pressure switch, this is found on the drivers side of the accumulator which in turn is located under the bonnet on the passengers side close to the windscreen. The acummulator is normaly black or silver. If when you connect this wire/split pin and then turn the car on and then the A/C is also turned on you find that the A/C compressor comes on (you can usualy hear the change in the engine and a load click) then the A/c electricals are OK and the system is down on gas. DO NOT LEAVE THE WIRE/SPLIT PIN CONNECTED!!!!! OTHERWISE YOU WILL WRECK THE A/C COMPRESSOR!!!!!!!!!

If this worked then you HAVE a gas leak, NO ANDS, IFS OR MAYBES....END OF STORY. Chances are on a VN (or most Commodores) is that the Evaporator (under the dash) is leaking or the compressor is leaking, either way it is big money. About $1000 on average for the Evaporator and a bit over that for the compressor if done correctly. Although you may find it is a leak at one of the o'rings....maybe the ones at the condensor!

You can't check the evaporator yourself but you can make a preliminary check on you compressor......Look for signs of a stain or oil on the very front of the compressor (not saying anything BUT make sure the engine is OFF!)and then on the join just behind the compressor's pully assembly. Also check the two hose connections for signs of stains or oil leaks and see if the hoses spin, if you can twist the rubber part of the hoses on the metal fitting.

I would recommend that you take it down to a GOOD A/C tech and get him to re-gas it and put NEW oil in the system and put some FLURO DYE in the system. This will 1/ get you up and running again, 2/ Allow the leak to be found and 3/ not cost a real lot until you know what is wrong. The system will still leak as you are not fixing it at this stage but it will help you find out what the problem is without wasting too much more money. (cost should be around $100 to do this)

The only other thing it can be is a blockage. If the compressor cuts in (without bypassing the pressure switch) but you get no cold at all it may be a blockage, or just very low on gas. Costs are dependant on what is wrong.

If you have any further problems just let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Oh and by the way $300 is not a complete overhaul, sorry, a complete system rebuild for most commodores can cost upto $2500 to do correctly. I would say that the last A/C tech you took it to only did a standard retrofit to your car and fitted a VP Condensor as they are more efficiant on the new gas (R134a). Check to see if he put dye inthe system. You might find a yellow sticker somewhere under the bonnet telling you this.

Kind Regards GUY.

arty

Reaction score
Thanks for your input....
I will try all the advise that you have given me.
I hope now I will have a cool summer.

Regards,

Arty

T

Tatts

This is probably gonna sound totally lame ..... but when you pressed the AC button

have you also turned the fan on ??????

just a simple suggestion that may have been over looked

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
Hay Tatts not as stupid as it sounds. I get at least one person in my workshop a week who either does not turn the fan switch on, or forgets to turn the heater knob around to cold and then comes in complaining that the A/c does not get cold.

The biggest problem for the new VN owner is that it is about the only car on the market that has the A/c switch on when it is up and not in like most cars....and yes I have had a lot of people in with that problem.

The best ones are the ones complaining that the A/c is not cold anymore and the car has NEVER had A/c.

Anyway happy hunting, GUY.

S

shane0o7

know what ya mean gsmrobinson wierd how the switch works on them people push it in thinking it is turning it on but really it is off lol oh well done holden lol!

arty

Reaction score
QUOTE (Tatts @ Nov 30 2003, 07:52 AM) This is probably gonna sound totally lame ..... but when you pressed the AC button

have you also turned the fan on ??????

just a simple suggestion that may have been over looked
I wish that was my problem.......

S

shane0o7

ok spoke to mate who is air con mechanic and said the vn had a comon problem with the air con what he thinks is wrong is the evaporator box has gone which will cause it not to work .big job he said as most of the dash has to come out!