Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vn alarm goes off

timmy_tam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN calais 91
hey all
i searched this, but couldn't find anything

i have a stock 91 vn calais
with factory alarm, immobilsor and still have factory remote and remote master key (in glove box)

i'll lock the car with remote and later, sometimes minutes, sometimes an hour, it'll go off for no reason

any ideas? makes having an alarm useless when i have to lock it with a key

89vncommy

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VN Caladore
I was told that my VN did the same... So the guy took the fuse out of it and didn't use it.. When I bought the car, I pulled it all out and put in a new alarm system. The wiring on the old alarm was crap.. Some wires had sheared themselves a little and it was a real mess... $330 for a new alarm installed and no problems since...

timmy_tam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN calais 91
yeh that's what i was thinking too, getting a new alarm
gotta be close to 16 years old now

did you keep the old remotes? or lose it?
and did tehy have to take the dash apart to install? i don't know if i want them removing it becyase mine is so fragile...

89vncommy

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VN Caladore
They gave me new remotes and all ...

Don't think they removed the dash .. The only part the moved was the plastic under the steering wheel ... That was where they put the flashing light.. Not sure why they didn't put it in the spot where the other was (near the A/C switch), but maybe because they didn't want to pull it all apart...

They didn't put any of the sensors in that some alarms have... (Near the windscreen) as it is just a basic alarm, that does the job ...

covert77

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn berlina
in most cars, there should be a sensitivity adjustment next to the module. i have an aftermarket alarm and it used to go off all the time. i finally discovered after 9 months that i could change the sensitivity of the warning alarm and the actual alarm. mine is under the steering column where the fuses are. good luck

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
i reckon take out the factory alarm and immo and get a aftermarket immo its all u need because no one ever pays much attention to a car alarm going off in a carpark.

H

HATER VP

Try locking the car, then pushing on the bonnet and see if it goes off then.

cohn

VN28CN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais Turbo
i have a 90 calais and it did the same thing, it just al of a sudden started to doit for no reason, i got the craps witrh it and turned it off, just get rid of the factory alarm and install an after market.

timmy_tam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN calais 91
yeh, aftermarket alarm is the way to go i rekcon

i can't find anything to adjust with on the module, so i doubt it can be done

plus, it's almost 20 years old, who wants 20 year old technology protecting in this day and age of new low life scums??

nsladden

GET UTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 Holden VP Ute S 5.0L & 1989 Holden VN 5sp Wag
My alarm all of a sudden started going off. Turned out that the alternator was overcharging the battery thus the alarms battery-backup kicking in. So the alternator was reconditioned and it was fine. Also, the remote sometimes didnt work so my dad went to dick smith and whipped up a new one!