Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Alpine stereo - serious upgrade - I need feedback please!!

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
Nice car brohawk! As everyone's already said - it'll look great when it's done!

I can get a pretty good price on Dynamat, so I'll probably go that way . . . it'll go in when I get the new carpets in - probably the same time as I do the Calais interior thing.

The boot carpeting, sound proofing etc will be done when the subs go in, or VERY soon afterwards, depending on my patience - I want those subs in as quick as possible!! Can't wait!! Unfortunately it could still be a month or six weeks away . . . :(

brohawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais
yer its **** that way man i have evrything set up all i need is the subs and its killing me not having them. but yer like i said its up to you with the path you choose if ur budget allows it use the dynamat, if you have any questions dnt hesitate to ask.

cheers for the comments on the vh :D

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
brohawk, the stuff you got looks mighty thin, so yes theres only probably enough there to just stick the carpet down and not enough to go in to the carpet and turn it into a icky mess. also because its so thin do you think it wil really add that much wieght to stop the panel vibrating much?
the tar stuff i have is so think you need a palet knife to put it on. its almost as thick as the black tar used on roads to seal cracks. i used 2 coats on one door. it has already start to run down the door a bit. also remember that if it does run and even if there is no carpet then it will just block up all drainage holes. rust anyone?

brohawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais
well my boot does not rattle because unlike u i have done my resarch and i have a thinner compound that dries hard and i just put many think coats on to make 1 thick coat. it sounds 100 times better in the cabin then it did before and the boot doesent rattle one bit, because i took the time and did it properly and made sure that it was the way i wanted it.

and maby beacuse your using a thicker compound thats y it is running and turning to ****.

im using a different product that is better for this application so unless you can say u have used the exact same product as me in the exact same way dnt tell ppl that it doesent work. just because u made a **** decission dnt mean i did. if it didnt work for u say what you used and how u used it and that it didnt work .dnt just say the general idea doesent work.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
The paint of tar based deadener doesn't even compare to sheet deadener... If it worked for you that's great, but the sheet deadener is alot more effective. I've used both, i'd pick the sheets everytime for effectiveness and it's much easier and cleaner to install. Oh and doesn't smell like **** for weeks.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
brohawk said:
well my boot does not rattle because unlike u i have done my resarch and i have a thinner compound that dries hard and i just put many think coats on to make 1 thick coat. it sounds 100 times better in the cabin then it did before and the boot doesent rattle one bit, because i took the time and did it properly and made sure that it was the way i wanted it.

and maby beacuse your using a thicker compound thats y it is running and turning to ****.

im using a different product that is better for this application so unless you can say u have used the exact same product as me in the exact same way dnt tell ppl that it doesent work. just because u made a **** decission dnt mean i did. if it didnt work for u say what you used and how u used it and that it didnt work .dnt just say the general idea doesent work.
brohawk, i dont care about your car or anyone elses. i am speaking from my own experiences and sharing them so that others dont make bad decisions.
heres an example: you have 2 chairs that sits outside in the rain all day every day, and it rains a lot where you live. you one day decide to paint thechairs but you only have water-based paint. now because it rains so much you think you might paint one chair in a really thick coat and the other in many thin coats. and guess what? the rain takes the pains off both chairs because its water based paint!
its exactly the same with the tar stuff. it will run in hot weather so unless you live in tassie, DONT USE IT EXCEPT UNDER THE BODY!
when did you apply the stuff? winter right?! the images on your boot were posted on the 20/7/06! well oh course the stuff hasn't run. wait till summer and your boot will stink and anything you put in it will stick to the runny tar thats blocking up the drain holes and getting into your carpet. oh and by the way, it will be almost impossible to get off.

covert77

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn berlina
I have a similar system in my vn berlina
head unit: cda-9851
front: type r 6.5" splits (in pods on doors)
back: type r 6.5" 2 way
sub:type r 12"
amps: v power amp for speakers and MRD - 605 v12 amp for sub.

it's an awesome system, but i have had some troubles with amps overheating since i had the sub installed. maybe consider a bigger than required amp (if u thump it like i do).
i have the sub positioned behind the centre seat in the back facing forward. the only shaking i have is the rear vision mirrors shaking, but no vibrations - some cars may need sound deadening.
i also think that the type x would be a mad choice over the 2 type r's, but both are quality!
have fun with your system buddy, coz i love mine!

covert77

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn berlina
i don't mean that, it's just that an amp rated to equal power as the sub can overheat and therefore shutdown as a precaution if you run it at high levels for long periods of time.
(by the way, i did screw up my first type r sub, but because i didn't keep the levels down to run it in over the first month)
what other way is there around this overheating problem? coz i would be interested as it pisses me off when it does happen.
i heard another suggestion was to install a fan in my boot?azzfox?

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
Good to hear the results with Alpine are good!! I'm sticking with them just because . . . I don't know really, I just like the name. They're famous :D

Why is it that you have to 'run in' a sub for a month??