Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Auto Changeover NEED HELP!!! :(

Paul_grima

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VT Exec
Hey guys im looking for any kind of help i can get with this.
Recently i bent the chassis in my series 1 Vn commodore executive.
It has a decent auto, motor and tailshaft, diff etc..
The car is not fixable or safe to drive.
I have pickd up a series 2 Vn Calais needing a geabox n tailshaft.
I am still learning about cars but i am pretty good at most things i have attemped ex.. brakes, rotors, axles, steering rack, exhaust, controll arms, bushes and more..

I am looking for any help or guides on changing over the transmission (auto) from the executive to the calais. i have trolley jacks and car stands. also enough tools..
If anyone can help me it would be geat;y appreciated. also if theres anything i need to know about the tailshaft.

Thanks alot in advance.

Paul :)

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
if you want something for reference along the way, I highly recommend a gregories manual or similar. It really pays off, and is a great guide.
And a trans service kit (gaskets filter oil ect) while you're at it, and probably replace universals and center bearing on tail shaft while you're there...

Otherwise, my experience provided no major secrets, just have beer, a radio, loads of carby cleaner and some mates nearby...

Paul_grima

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VT Exec
Thanks mate ill have to invest in a manual. Yeh i have 1 mate whos willing to help me, is the carby cleaner just to help undo the bolts? also is the tailshaft fairly easy? cheers bud.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
youll be able to use your auto and tailshaft from original car pretty much just a simple swap over job.

Remove tailshaft 4 bolts at diff plus centre bearing mount. Slides out fo gearbox (careful fluid coming out.

Unbolt 6 or so bolts holding gearbox in. remove wiring plugs kickdown cable and unbolt trans fluid lines.

Then install is similar making sure you take note of slots on torque convertor line up with pump

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
Thanks mate ill have to invest in a manual. Yeh i have 1 mate whos willing to help me, is the carby cleaner just to help undo the bolts? also is the tailshaft fairly easy? cheers bud.
Carby cleaner is to clean all the longterm build up, but can be expensive if you just spray heaps and don't brush... other wise, some petrol and a paint brush when it's out will clean it up very shmick...
tailshaft is easy, just have a plug ready for rear of trans...

Paul_grima

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VT Exec
youll be able to use your auto and tailshaft from original car pretty much just a simple swap over job.

Remove tailshaft 4 bolts at diff plus centre bearing mount. Slides out fo gearbox (careful fluid coming out.

Unbolt 6 or so bolts holding gearbox in. remove wiring plugs kickdown cable and unbolt trans fluid lines.

Then install is similar making sure you take note of slots on torque convertor line up with pump

Thanks dude that sounds farly straight forward. appreciate it man.

Paul_grima

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VT Exec
Carby cleaner is to clean all the longterm build up, but can be expensive if you just spray heaps and don't brush... other wise, some petrol and a paint brush when it's out will clean it up very shmick...
tailshaft is easy, just have a plug ready for rear of trans...

Thanks man yeh ill do that for sure, what do u mean by have a plug ready for rear of trans. sorry if i im annoying u with questions.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
thats when you pull the tailshaft out fluid will come out i find plastic bag and duct tape works well if your quick

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
Thanks man yeh ill do that for sure, what do u mean by have a plug ready for rear of trans. sorry if i im annoying u with questions.

thats when you pull the tailshaft out fluid will come out i find plastic bag and duct tape works well if your quick

As above, yes for fluid.. anything you come up with works well. I have a cap used on steel reo-bar (bright yellow safety caps) and it lives in my tool box as a trans butt-plug...