Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN auto stalling :(

-VnExEc-

CommyChick
Reaction score
Members Ride
85 VK berlina, 96 vs ss
hey guys,
ive got a 89VN auto..last week i went to stop at an intersection and it decided to stall.started it up again and it ran fine until today it stalled again as i slowed down to turn a corner...it starts up fine.and idles in park but as soon as you put it into gear it stalls straight away and now i cant get anywhere :mad: any help or ideas of what could be causing it would be much appreciated!

commy92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP WAGON V6
mine likes to do this sometimes. But never while im driving. I THINK its the inhibitor switch.

R

Reggie

inhibitor switch is only a starter circuit breaker and will only affect the car when you are starting it. if it is stuffed your car won't start. i would be looking at something like base idle? what does your car idle at and if you hold the revs up slightly before you drop it into gear does it stall?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Check the TBS and the O2 Sensor. Do you have any codes from the ECU?

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Mine's stalled out a couple of times just after I start it. Usually before the idle has settled down, and when I'm changing gears + turning the wheel at the same time. Common on the VN/VP as far as I know, but it's never happened to me when the car is warm.

-VnExEc-

CommyChick
Reaction score
Members Ride
85 VK berlina, 96 vs ss
Reggie said:
inhibitor switch is only a starter circuit breaker and will only affect the car when you are starting it. if it is stuffed your car won't start. i would be looking at something like base idle? what does your car idle at and if you hold the revs up slightly before you drop it into gear does it stall?
it usually idles at just over 1grand.. even if i hold the revs up before i put it into gear it still stalls...i have to hold up the revs whilst its in neutral then chuk it into gear if i want to take off (not to mention wheel spinning while im at it) lol. im lost on this one so ill ive taken it into the shop and we'll see what they say... thanks.

vks

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 vn 3.8 S pack
hey guys, when i first got my vn commodore it was doing the same thing, driving it n when you stop at the lights it usd 2 stall and die, the problem on my car as a dodgy wire connected to the wireing harness to the computer, something to do with the fuel injectors, thats what the auto electrician told me anyways, just thought id give u 1 more troubleshooting idea.

cheers vks

-VnExEc-

CommyChick
Reaction score
Members Ride
85 VK berlina, 96 vs ss
Well, took it to my usual mechanic, he had it for a few days and it didnt stall on him once! so he culdnt figure it out, & i was refered to an auto-electrician for to check over everything.The electrician looked over everything and came across a leaking coil pack,he said this is what could of been the cause so i spent big bucks getting an aftermarket pack installed.The ride home was awesome and didnt cut once :D but on my way to work this morning, stopped at the first corner....stalled :bang: ... i might get the CAS and fuel pump/filter changed with the next pay cheque and update this after its done..just incase anyone else is having similar problems :) and ill get round to checking the error codes as 88GreenVN said...cheers for the comments anyway ppl

Last edited: