Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn auto wont change out of 1st gear

Cameron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 11 'Redhot' Ute
Me and a mate who is a mechanic replaced the flywheel and the front and rear main seals in my 1990 vn v6 auto, everything went smoothly, we did a trans service aswell.
after everything was bolted up we started the car still on the axel stands, car was running smoothly, we were changing the gears to test them, everything sweet, until i took it for a drive around the block it was making an unusuall noise when my foot came off the accelerator, the noise only last a second or two the it would dissapear. it changed from 1st to 2nd then to 3rd but not into final gear. my mate took it for a spin and it wouldnt even change out of first gear, reverse, neutral and park all work fine.

we are stumped as to what has happend, we came up with that maybe the torque converter came loose when we lifted the trans to get it onto the jack, everything went back as it should. there is enough trans fluid aswell.

if the torque converter is stuffed does that mean it has stuffed the trans or can a second hand torque conv. be bought and fitted.
:bang:
thanks for your help

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Had a bloke at work the other day, and he done a servive on his trans, and straight after he done it, took for a drive and it was stuffed, wouldnt change into top gear. Mechanic told him it needed a full rebuild. I know that dosnt help you, but thats his story anyway. Guessing that changing oil on an old g/box thats about to die may just send it over the edge.

Bz Kn33z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VN V6 Turbo
My gearbox is on its way out and i did a service over the weekend my semi synthetic oil and was fine still didnt fix the slipping auto tho, not sure what it could be, maybe a stupid thing but how high is the kickdown cable set at, dont think it would be that because it changed fine the first time, good luck with it

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
Had a bloke at work the other day, and he done a servive on his trans, and straight after he done it, took for a drive and it was stuffed, wouldnt change into top gear. Mechanic told him it needed a full rebuild. I know that dosnt help you, but thats his story anyway. Guessing that changing oil on an old g/box thats about to die may just send it over the edge.

either that or you didnt fit the oil filter properly and fluid isnt making it into the servo to create enough pressure to shift under load...

this is why i drive a manual now :p

Cameron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 11 'Redhot' Ute
were gona open up the bell housing tomorrow night to see if the torque converter is on properly, and the filter is also another option we'll look at, it's better to pay $60 for a service kit and oil rather than paying at least $350 for a second hand trans.
thanks for your ideas ill let you know how it goes.

Cameron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 11 'Redhot' Ute
Tonight we pulled the bell housing off, torque converter is on fine, we pulled the pan off, the filter is on fine, still stumped. i rang an actual auto trans mechanic he said the kick down cable could be not adjusted properly or there is something in the cooler blocking the oil from getting through.

still working on it let u how it goes tommorow

Cameron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 11 'Redhot' Ute
stumped if i know but its all fixed, we took the cooler lines off and blew air throught it both ways, air came out the other side nothing else and presto it works, damned if i know what was actually wrong with it.

thanks for your help