Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Berlina Ignition Issue.

Hammie334

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina
Hi All,

Recently bought a VN Berlina (Oct 89) without keys, and I understand there is an Anti-Theft/Immobilizer in the vehicle. The key barrel has been replaced to take a key blank, and while there is Accessory power, the car refuses to turn over when you would normally expect to hear a starter motor doing its job.

I understand the flashing red light in the Dash to be one alerting of the immobilizer being active. However, I cant for the life of me figure out a way to bypass the anti theft system, having looked through a fair chunk of old forum posts.

I do also have the VN Manual from https://www.allcarmanuals.com/ to refer to, if need be.

Any assistance is appreciated.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
I am sure VN did not come.from factory with an immobilizer. You will have to look for something not standard that has been added on.

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
My first VN was a 89 Berlina and no immobliser fitted.
It would be aftermarket unit and can be a time consuming pain to sort,you will probably end up having to get a Auto Electrician involved.
I remember reading in a Magazine in the early 1990's that a firm(someone on here may know their name) in Sydney was fitting them to VN/VP's,they were used by lots of Fleet/Rep. Cars to get a reduced Insurance Premium as VN's were the most popular model for car thieves by a large margin.
Most of the Co.'s that fitted them are no longer in Business or diversified years ago so good luck

Last edited:

Hammie334

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina
Hmm ok, thanks for the information. As far as you know is There anything security related that may stop power getting to the starter motor? I haven’t located any aftermarket immobiliser, all of the factory wiring looks intact.

The manual I linked in my opening post does show an override switch for the anti theft system, would this be worth looking for?

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
I would look at re-fitting a standard key barrel and go from there.
You can easily fit a wire to the starter motor solenoid to see if it starts,if it does run a wire back from the solenoid to the key barrel hopefully bypassing whatever the anti-theft fitting has done.
After saying all that a Auto Electrician is you best option but pricey.

Last edited:

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
My VQ has a factory security override switch fitted between the passenger side front door hinges, if that helps.