Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Boot leak

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Leak is usually from the quarter windows. Easiest way to check is to hop in the boot with a torch. Get someone (that you can trust) to close the boot lid and squirt all around the rear windows and boot with a water hose. You should be able to see where the leak is coming from using the torch. In particular, look at the area near the top of the wheel arches and towards the front of the car.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Leak is usually from the quarter windows. Easiest way to check is to hop in the boot with a torch. Get someone (that you can trust) to close the boot lid and squirt all around the rear windows and boot with a water hose. You should be able to see where the leak is coming from using the torch. In particular, look at the area near the top of the wheel arches and towards the front of the car.
Thanks. I'd looked there but I just had a closer look . There's rust visible through a hole in the folded sheet metal that looks like it's come from a water leak in the big VQ rear quarter window. Had the hose out and it looks like it's coming from the bottom of the rubber seal around the outside of the window. I'll try sealing the bottom of the window with windscreen sealant.

Last edited:

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Thanks. I'd looked there but I just had a closer look . There's rust visible through a hole in the folded sheet metal that looks like it's come from a water leak in the big VQ rear quarter window. Had the hose out and it looks like it's coming from the bottom of the rubber seal around the outside of the window. I'll try sealing the bottom of the window with windscreen sealant.
I found a leak in a VN some years ago was the rear screen then running down the rear seat belt hole in the parcel shelf through to the boot.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
A leaking boot was a feature on the VN and VP.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
A leaking boot was a feature on the VN and VP.
Yep, and getting worse as they get older. Problem any major rust problem reduces the car to scrap value. I'm sealing the rear quarter glass with windscreen silicon now.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Finally got the rubber to seal against the window with silicon. Tested it with a hose to make sure. The sun hardened rubber had become so inflexible and hardened with the sun that sealing it was more like puttying a house window than, say, sealing a car windscreen.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Finally got the rubber to seal against the window with silicon. Tested it with a hose to make sure. The sun hardened rubber had become so inflexible and hardened with the sun that sealing it was more like puttying a house window than, say, sealing a car windscreen.
So Mike, can I clarify that the leak was between the glass and the seal rather than between the seal and the bodywork?

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
So Mike, can I clarify that the leak was between the glass and the seal rather than between the seal and the bodywork?
Sealing the glass to the rubber external seal seems to have stopped it. Heat and age had left maybe a 1mm gap between the glass and seal that trapped water running down the window . If that doesn't work long term I guess I'll have to remove the quarter window and redo its internal seal- but I hate disturbing unnecessarily the plastic and rubber components in these old cars.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Sealing the glass to the rubber external seal seems to have stopped it. Heat and age had left maybe a 1mm gap between the glass and seal that trapped water running down the window . If that doesn't work long term I guess I'll have to remove the quarter window and redo its internal seal- but I hate disturbing unnecessarily the plastic and rubber components in these old cars.
OK. It's been raining heavily and there's still a small leak somewhere in the front of the driver's side of the boot. Out with the hose when it dries out, for a retest.