Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Boot leak

KaleJudd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive Ex Cop Car
Hey new to the site. went through as many threads as i thought may have this info but didnt come accross is and didnt come across a search button either.

So my question is where my VN boot might be leaking.
So far i have siloconed:
The gap between top of rear quater window and rubber (underneath the plastic channel that runs from roof to side of boot).
Around the rear window rubber.
All screw holes for spoiler have been sealed with silicone.
All my boot rubber seals are in good condition and i tested to see and found that they are infact touching the inside of boot lid.
Also siliconed them in place to make sure that water is not getting in under the seals.
after rain its wettest on right hand side (when looking into boot) and water seems to be comming in somewhere near where to boot hinge passes right next to the seals (if that makes sense - its the top right corner of the boot).

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
Theres a good 'how to' on it. Clicky here.

Another place it could come in is the rear light seals.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Fuel cap seal. Back qtr windows. Tail light (holes in lens).

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
for the 1/4 window don't use silicone. use windscreen sealent. it stays tacky and bonds to both surfaces. did it in my vr and no probs yet. more than likely this is your problem there is a how-to thread as stated above though.

KaleJudd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive Ex Cop Car
Thanks for the replies guys but as far as i can tell ive stopped any leaks from those areas. Stupid thing is i can pour a bucket of water all over my car and not get a drop in the boot but as soon as it rains it gets wet in there.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Water gets in: Spare wheel side or driver side of the boot? Water in tail lights eg pull globe out and water comes out?

KaleJudd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive Ex Cop Car
well cant think of how to describe it so here is where i find water after a rain. i feel for it every other place i can actually get my hand including up behind the quater windows and this is the only place where i seem to find water.

Attachments

• IMG_2474.jpg
    IMG_2474.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 612
  • IMG_2475.jpg
    IMG_2475.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 591

vn_lexcen_s2

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 lexcen vn S2
maybe check around the boot seals...its the only thing i can think of that isnt the back 1/4 panels or the back windscreen or the tailights...

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
If you have taken the fuel filler cover out (2 screws) it needs to be resealed. I took all the carpet out and kept tipping a jug of water over the back of the car. The water was running off the roof and over the fuel filler cap. Took the cover off and yep thats were the water was getting in. Put some sealer on the cap and screwed it back in place - not too tight to start with - let it set a day and then nipped it up. Dry boot at last. (also resealed back qtr windows and tail light lenses.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
well cant think of how to describe it so here is where i find water after a rain. i feel for it every other place i can actually get my hand including up behind the quater windows and this is the only place where i seem to find water.
Anyone have any ideas on where a leak in this area comes from? I've sealed all the obvious places but I still have a leak behind the wire in Kale's right photo.