Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN: bottom end knocking

wagonist

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive Sedan
I'm new to the commodores. Everything else I've owned until now has had OHC.

I've developed a bottom end knock which also renders the car hard to start after getting hot.
I've decided to park it for the time being (it's jsut run out of rego) & concentrate on getting my VP registered instead.
But I'd like to know what to look for in case its worthwhile trying to fix it & then sell, or just sell it as is (maybe to someone who has a spare engine or skills to repair).

AFAIK, its a VN series 2 motor with around 150-200 000k & the knock started after spraying some carby cleaner through it as it was running rough & constantly stalling.

opinions?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
harmonic balancer or bigend bearing could be other things too ide be looking at the balancer first see if any rubber is missing from it or if the rubber is all cracked.take the belt off and see if the noise goes away is another way too see if its the balancer.just dont run it long with the belt off

wagonist

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive Sedan
The motor was installed about 6 months ago as part of engine/box package (the previous box wouldn't change gear automatically) & the harmonic balancer was checked before the engine was installed as that is a known problem.