Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN brake upgrade

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Is the upgrade to the VT twin piston caliper set up good to do if you intend on converting to Ls1 eventually?
yes

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
i would consider the vt brake upgrade to be a bare minimum particularly if you want to go down the ls path. The real issue is your intended use of the car. At least fit Remsa pads (a bit dusty) or better still ceramic pads. The ceramic pads are quite a bit dearer but in my opinion well worth it.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I used to run VT calipers on my VR with standard master cylinder.
It’s doable. Just better with the different booster. I used a VS V8 Booster for my VP.

Braided lines all round.

Yes, hub adaptors.

Also had to modify or use a brake pipe adaptor from memory. I bought a pipe flaring kit back then to do it and you know what, I don’t know what happened to it.

I should have just gone the VE kit because it’s a way better set up.

I had 17’s but 16’s before that. Can’t recall which came first. The 17’s or the brakes.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
There is so much on this forum about brake upgrades that it isn't really worth re-hashing it all. Marco is a guru when it comes to the options. Look for his stuff.
I've got a VT upgrade on the front with the standard size 296mm rotors which actually fit under my 15" CSA rims. I think you MAY be able to fit the larger VT-VY rotors (330mm?) under 16" rims but not 100% sure. I fitted the VT master and booster with the front upgrade all at the same time. Modified bracket needed to fit the VT booster which you can do yourself or buy from Marco. I prepped the bracket myself using Marco's specs and had it welded by a local engineer cos I'm a novice welder and you don't want it to fail down the track.
The result is a huge improvement on the standard brakes. I've still got standard brakes on the rear. If you go bigger on the front it might become more desirable to upgrade the rears as well just to keep things in balance.