Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN broken into and parts stolen, Worth fixing ?

Voom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
My VN has been broken into and while they weren't able to steal it (pulled all the big fuses out from under the bonnet) they done quite a bit of damaged and have taken random bits off.

From what I can see I need the following replaced by a mechanic (I've only got street parking and don't have much in the way of tools) and I'm wondering if its worth it, or if i should just sell it to the wreckers and start saving for another car once I'm living somewhere with secure parking.

Here's what I think needs fixing:

- Rear quarter glass panel
- Ignition barrel and switch. Will need to cut through the metal shroud as the lock is completely ####ed.
- Air filter and box / or another pod filter which might be illegal in Victoria anyway
- part that wraps around the speedo / fuel / odometer cluster and has the head light/wipers controllers and the internior lights, curise control, hazard light controls.
- Power steering cap

They also stole my rear speakers :( but I don't need them to drive.

The car itself was in the pretty good nick. Me, my dad and grandfather spent a week sanding it back to bare metal and respraying it. So it looks really good for its age, its duel fuel,has cruise control and mechanically hasn't had anything go wrong with it for over a year (which compared to my last VN is great XD). But at a certain point it just isn't worth fixing anymore.

So anyone got a ruff idea how much that would cost me to get fixed, and how much a VN that still runs (I can replace the fuses and kick the engine over, but I can't disengage the steering lock ) would be worth to the wreckers ? I need it either fixed or sold asap as they are just gonna keep on ripping parts off.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
If the body is good, the bits you need to repair the car can be purchased pretty cheaply, but is it worth doing anything unless you can secure the car away from from the ****. My VQ was a parts warehouse until I fixed up secure parking in the back yard.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
I'd fix it.
Nothing you mentioned is overly difficult.
I've got 90% of a VN interior in the shed.