Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Calais (1988 - 1991) Starting Issues Solved

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 VN Series 1 Calais - 3.8 V6 Auto
Hey there peoples,

My first post was a couple of months ago with my 1989 VN Calais with the Buick 3800 3.8ltr V6 engine not starting and no Check Engine Light. Now ladies and gents I found out with the help of a mate what the issue is the whole time...

THE ANTI THEFT DETERRENT SYSTEM - VN/VP models with the Engine Cut-Out Key in the glovebox next to the boot release button.

Cus of the cars age and constant battery removal and other crap, somehow the Anti Theft Deterrent System had locked itself on and no way to turn it off, this is what was cutting the EARTH to the 6 Fuel Injectors on the engine also cutting out the Check Engine Light on the Dash. Basically we bypassed the Anti Theft Deterrent system with dodgy wiring just to start the car, but today I'm removing the entire dash to remove the Anti Theft Deterrent system for good and twitching the wires from it to complete the circuit and ensure the car can start.

I'll put up replies to this thread as I go, a lot is going on with the VN at the moment and don't wanna post up false information for you people. But this is a start guys, 7 months of trying to fix the Calais and now shes paid off, a starting engine.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
was it just the zadi lock in the glove box that was playing up? i bypassed mine to a hidden on/on missile switch, that way i can still use my factory remote... problem solved.

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 VN Series 1 Calais - 3.8 V6 Auto
Yeah my Zadi plug at the back of the key barrel was snapped off, but I'm in the process of removing it from the harness completely. Only issues now is that I have no Blower, A/C or Cooling fan and I've discovered that the Anti Theft Deterrent computer gets its power from the blower relay under the steering wheel... So I guess that the Anti Theft is part of a circuit. So if removed I guess it disables the Blower, A/C and Cooling Fan :/