Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Calais 5L

Renno

Home Of The Shiny Tank
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5L
Name: Thomas

Model: 1989 Series 1 VN Calais

Colour: Alpine White

Body Work: Smoothed And Deleted Ariel Hole

Engine Type: Holden 304ci V8

Engine Mods: Base Timing Set To 14 Degrees, Deleted Clutch Fan, Replaced With Twin EF Ford Thermo Fans, GHM VR Sender Unit With A Wallbro GSS342 500HP Intank Fuel Pump

Exhaust: HSV "Tuned Length" Headers And Factory GMH 'Y' Piece, Into A Magnaflow 2½ Inch High Flow Cat With A Stainless Steel 3 Inch Mandrel Bent Cat-Back System, Including A 3 Inch Lukey Race Magnum Muffler And A 3 Inch Polished 'Hotdog', Exiting With A 3 Inch Polished Dump Pipe.

Gearbox: Standard Auto

Diff: LSD And 3.9:1 Gears

Power: 133.7RWKW @158KPH On Willall Racing Mainline Dyno (Without CAI And On A Jolting Dyno)

Wheels/Tyres: 15 Inch Chevoits In Alpine White

Suspension: Front Is Standard, But The Rear Has, Nolathane Upper And Lower Trailing Arms / Bushes, Pedders Low Touring Springs, Pedders Upper Spring Seats, GMH Lower Spring Seats, Pedders Big Bore Sports Ryder Shocks, A Whiteline 22mm Heavy Duty Blade Type Adjustable Sway Bar And A Whiteline On-Car Adjustable Panhard Rod

Brakes: Standard

Interior: Standard Leather Trim, Series II VN Calais Ignition Light

Stereo: Pioneer DEH-P6850MP Headunit With Standard Speakers

Other Mods: Full Electric Sunroof, Painted 80L Fuel Tank In 'Quicksilver', With Chrome Straps, VN Executive Boot Release Setup, VP Bonnet Gas Struts And Mounts

Future Mods: Just Cleaning Her Up For Now And Then The Modding Begins

Thanks: AAA Exhausts, AVP Customs, Boss Differentials, Car Torque, Green Welding, Klemzig Platers, Motor Traders, Outlaw Speed Shop And My Good Mates

Pictures:

VNCalaisV8161.jpg

VNCalaisV8163.jpg

VNCalaisV8166.jpg

VNCalaisV8168.jpg

Exhaust Note:

Last edited:

Renno

Home Of The Shiny Tank
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5L
3 inch exhaust seems a bit of a waste when the cat is 2.5 inch

Good Point Stocky.....

I had a blocked cat so i replaced it with a 2 1/2 inch one....

However later on i decided on a 3inch catback for the cam work im going to do to it later on....

So after a couple of things like suspension, brakes and diff ill be gettin a set of paceys and a twin cat setup so the cat isnt going to waste :)

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
you should be able to get the flanges modified to increase them to 3 inches, but i dont know what the internals of the high flows are like. that might work, might not

Renno

Home Of The Shiny Tank
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5L
you should be able to get the flanges modified to increase them to 3 inches, but i dont know what the internals of the high flows are like. that might work, might not

Good idea but the internal diameter of the cat will semi-restrict the system, so twin cats is the go for the moment....

Renno

Home Of The Shiny Tank
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5L
After looking through the forum and seeing multiple thermo fan installs, I thought I would post up my install. I got my mate Chris (PREDATR) to wire it up to a modified memcal that he had and also we used a VN wagon rear window washer button for an override switch to keep that 'factory' look...

VNCalaisV8051.jpg

VNCalaisV8057.jpg

VNCalaisV8058.jpg

VNCalaisV8059.jpg

VNCalaisV8061.jpg

Bz Kn33z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VN V6 Turbo
Is it just me or is 124RwKw abit low? not insulting you or anything just wondering what the average RwKw for a 5L is.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
why did you use the rear window washer switch? they spring back out once you let go, so wouldnt it be kind of useless unless youre going to hold it down constantly

Renno

Home Of The Shiny Tank
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5L
Is it just me or is 124RwKw abit low? not insulting you or anything just wondering what the average RwKw for a 5L is.

All Good mate,

124rwkw is low for a 5L, however when i bought the car it was only on 89rwkw to begin with when i bought her, so im happy for now, but this is on a accurate dyno, not a happy one as some people like to go on......lol

why did you use the rear window washer switch? they spring back out once you let go, so wouldnt it be kind of useless unless youre going to hold it down constantly

Sorry mate forgot to add that i used the a/c button with the window washer cap on it to make it a on and off button.....