Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn calais Auto Not working.

merlinsteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN calais v6
HI guys.
I have a 1989 Vn Calais with turbo 700 transmission.
Here are the problems.
On initial starting it will take a couple of minuets to kick into either first of reverse. after that it drives and shifts fine.
In the last couple of days It also began playing up at the lights. The car won't accelerate above a snails pace until it gets above about 15 km/h then drives fine again the engine almost stalls regardless of throttle position. I am thinking that maybe it isn't kicking back into first to cause this.
Reverse is also affected and the car does not want to do it.
I am hoping that there is a relatively minor part or something that needs to be changed so that I don't have to do a full rebuild.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks
Steve

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore

merlinsteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN calais v6
No it hasn't so I will give that a shot first.
When I bought the car some years ago it was not changing into first as I described. I took it and got is serviced but that made no difference.

merlinsteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN calais v6
Just took it for a drive to warm it up. Took 2 mins after putting it into drive for it to kick in. drove ok around the block. Pulled up at home and reverse worked ok, was slow to kick in again but worked fine. I was able to manually shift down through all gears and each kicked in fine. Got it home and checked the tranny fluid. Looks fine, nice and red not murky and no burn smell or look. It was also filled to the correct level. I am thinking it has to be something more sinister going wrong and maybe only when it is hot?

merlinsteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN calais v6
never thought about that, I will investigate ASAP.
Thanks