Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vn calais. keep or not?

sydd131

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Calais
hey guys, just want an opinion, got a vn calais, so far spent $3500 on it and prob another 400 to spend before its roadworthy, plus its got rust under windscreen, got qouted $400 for that, plus its got 290,000k's on it, and i've figured that to get a manual conversion and get another engine or just get mine recondition'd with bigger pistons, yella terra roller rockers, stage 3 cam, and all new bearings and **** like that, im estimating about $5000, which im happy to spend, BUT then theres other little spots of rust which i expect in about 2 years will become decent sized holes, and i got qouted about $2000-2500 for a respray, im thinking about selling it for 2,500 when its roadworthy, and somebody can have it for a project or since its roadworthy they can have it for a daily driver, whatever i dont care, but then i dunno what kinda car to get after that? so show of hands who thinks i should keep it, and spend ANOTHER $8000 on the damn thing to get it how i want it, or sell it for $2500 and buy something else, and if you think something else what else would you suggest? i'm happy to settle with a vr or a vk, but dont wanna go newer then vr cause im young, want power, and dont wanna spand stupid amounts of money on a car that looks nice but dont go hard.

god damn this is long, i dont expect anyone to actually read alla that **** lol

sydd131

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Calais
-

here's a pic.

Attachments

• Copy of 22022009(001).jpg
    Copy of 22022009(001).jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 127
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
Looks pretty clean and stock i like it. It looks pretty straight, Id keep it and get better quotes or get some new mates in the body industry lol. Even chat to a few apprentices after work to see how much theyd do it for on there weekends. I bet they will love the extra cash and you will be pleased at how cheply u can get it all done.

Peter89

Reaction score
Members Ride
'90 S1 VN 3.8L A4 Wagon
sell it and buy an s13. trust me, awesome cars.

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
lol s13... your better off with a pram than a s13..

if you want performance dont bother dropping a "stage 3 cam" in, until you understand what the lift/duration with the rocker ratio's i wouldnt go wasting my money, the buick heads dont flow well enough to get massive power N/A so you might see a marginal increase for lots spent..

your better off keeping the car, looks damn straight, get it road worthied then save up some money, buy a v8 wreck and drop that in, i sold my rolling chassis vp SS (hsv enhanced v8, tune, exhaust, full electrics and wiring looms incl electric mirrors and windows for a touch for round $1600, with 230,XXX km on it.

with 290,000 you wont get much over 2k, if the car drive nicely then pick up a 5L get a foam tune and you'll be a happy chappy. of course if your not handy with pulling motors out and dont have anyone to help you then id be listening to the motor to see if it has any knocks, and pay the $400 and enjoy having a car.

Also by the way when rebuilding the "bigger pistons" are only 20thou 40thou or 60thou over. 20thou = 0.5cm so really you only increase the engine capacity by 0.02L~

what your most likely refering to is stroking the motor which means the piston has greater travel and requires a special crank/pistons/rods and machine work. if you were to rebuild you'd spend $4000 on standard machining and basic parts cost (pistons, bearings, rings, gaskets etc)

VPplayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Who cares what everyone else thinks mate, if your happy with it then keep it. If you dont like it get rid of it.

Jess_Baby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
If you were going to get rid ov it would u consider selling it for $2000
What state are you in ??

If you decide to sell it, ill check it out yeaa??

Thank you :)
xox