Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn Calais Manual Cruise Control Retrofit

spyder_webb28

Reaction score
Members Ride
'91 Red/Silver VN Calais - Factory V8 Manual
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum (first post, woo!) and im after a bit of help with sticking cruise control in my VN

Its a factory manual Calais V8 (could not option cruise from factory)

I have the cruise box, switches, cable and bracket etc. installed already in to the factory position, cruise lights up but it will not hold a speed.

I think it may be to do with the cruise module not sensing a speed from the manual box, but i am yet to find a way to solve it.

If anyone has had some experience with this type of thing please let me know! failing that some V8 Calais wiring diagrams would help too!

Thanks

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum (first post, woo!) and im after a bit of help with sticking cruise control in my VN

Its a factory manual Calais V8 (could not option cruise from factory)

I have the cruise box, switches, cable and bracket etc. installed already in to the factory position, cruise lights up but it will not hold a speed.

I think it may be to do with the cruise module not sensing a speed from the manual box, but i am yet to find a way to solve it.

If anyone has had some experience with this type of thing please let me know! failing that some V8 Calais wiring diagrams would help too!

Thanks

When you say the cruise lights up - are you talking the green light on the switch block or the CRS in the cluster?

Most cruise problems are to do with the brake switch not being set properly.

spyder_webb28

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah the green light on the switch block., ill check the brake switch and see what i find, thanks!

spyder_webb28

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sweet, thanks for your help 88GreenVN, i have poked my head under the dash and found no brake switch installed, which may be why :p ill get a hold of one in the next few days and ill see how i go!

spyder_webb28

Reaction score
Members Ride
ok i have had a thought about the switch, if it is a normally open switch, it wouldnt matter if it is there or not... it would only shut off the cruise when the brake is pressed, it wouldn't hold it out from engaging...

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
To test the brake switch I hot wire it and use the main control to turn it off. So if you join the brake switch wires together and engage the cruise and all other the other parts of the cruise is working correctly you know its a switch required. also fit one to the clutch too.

Last edited:

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
ok i have had a thought about the switch, if it is a normally open switch, it wouldnt matter if it is there or not... it would only shut off the cruise when the brake is pressed, it wouldn't hold it out from engaging...
Just as long as some one hasnt shorted the two wires out in brake switch connector out thinking it would bridge the switch out so cruise would work if that doesnt fix it you may not be sending the stepper motor a signal from the speedo head on that green wire.
After you get it working its a good idea to run another switch off the clutch pedal that is in series with the brake switch to shut off cruise with a dab on the clutch pedal
Heres the switch http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...-need-help-cruise-control-cruise-switch-2.jpg make sure you get the circular clip that holds the switch in the pedal bracket and heres the circuit http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...83547536-vn-cruise-cruise-control-circuit.jpg

Last edited:

spyder_webb28

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just as long as some one hasnt shorted the two wires out in brake switch connector out thinking it would bridge the switch out so cruise would work if that doesnt fix it you may not be sending the stepper motor a signal from the speedo head on that green wire.

Definatly hasn't been shorted out, i guess this is coming down to the speed signal from the cluster. its too dark and cold outside to pull apart the dash, but ill have a look whats going on behind the cluster tomorrow, i would have thought that i would have the signal wire and everything intact, considering i have the rest of the cruise loom...

Also the car diddn't come with the 4 pin brake switch, however the two plugs (brown/brown and brown/grey+green stripe) are there.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Definatly hasn't been shorted out, i guess this is coming down to the speed signal from the cluster. its too dark and cold outside to pull apart the dash, but ill have a look whats going on behind the cluster tomorrow, i would have thought that i would have the signal wire and everything intact, considering i have the rest of the cruise loom...

Also the car diddn't come with the 4 pin brake switch, however the two plugs (brown/brown and brown/grey+green stripe) are there.

Just thinking about your brake switch/s....its true that cruise uses a normally open contact on the switch but you adjust it for the pedal to make the contact when your foot isnt on it and it breaks the contact when you put your foot on it...if you have no switch then it wont work....it would actually work if you bridged the brake switch connectors...sorry about the bum steer I think too you might need 2 brake switches to get cruise to work as per factory...some cars without cruise use a brake switch with no provision for the extra 2 pin plug in the cruise loom.
For the clutch heres the hole in a bracket I made for the clutch switch but I used nuts on the threaded part of the standard brake switch to adjust it and as a bit of a safety thing i used the normally closed contact on the clutch switch to run the starter solenoid feed through so you have to have your foot on the clutch to start the car.

Last edited: