Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Calais stalling in drive

Tommo_27

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hey guys

Im new to the forums and have done a quick search but couldn't really find much help.

I have a 1990 VN Calais v6 and last week it started up like normal but when i put it in drive it just died. Tried to start it and nothing. Left it for a few hours and still nothing. Had driven it earlier in the day and it was working fine.

Tried it the next day and it started. Coughed and spluttered a bit but then seemed fine. I then put it into drive and it died again. I started it and put it in neutral and revved it a bit. Sometimes it would die and other times it would go back to idling at around 1000rpm. As soon as i put it into drive it died again.

Tried again the next day and it worked fine. Drove it to my mechanic (not a single problem when driving it) and he checked it out and thought it might be the fuel pump but it was fine he said. Drove it home and it worked fine for about 5 days.

Then on my way to work on Friday it died in my drive way. Started it and seemed fine and didn't think anything of it. Got to the light and died again. I could start it and in neutral and park it would idle at around 1000rpm but as soon as i put it in drive or reverse (usually revs around 750 - 800 rpm when idle in those gears) it would just die. I got it going by taking hand brake off putting foot brake on and starting the car then putting it in neutral and revving to around 1500 rpm then stuck it in drive and it got going. As soon as i took my foot of the gas it died. Had to repeat the process about 10 times until i got home. Lucky it happened only 5 min from my place.

Tried to start it the next day and it would idle fine in park and neutral and then die when put into drive or reverse. Started it up this afternoon and it seemed to work fine. When put in drive reverse or whatever gear it kept running like normal. Didn't take it for a drive but.

I'm not the greatest with cars but my dad and i are lost as to what it could be so any help would be great. :) Sorry for such a long post.

Tommo

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
check for error codes using the paper clip method search on here for checking vn-vp for error codes

Noy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5.0
I had this problem a while ago, changed my leads and plugs and havnt had the problem since. Was an annoying problem thats for sure!

COMMY VP 666

COMMY VP V6
Reaction score
Members Ride
COMMODORE VP
might be fuel pump, leads spark plugs, alternator not working to keep the car running.

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
check the crank angle sensor (CAS) behind the harmonic balancer. Mine was doing the same thing. Easiest way to check it is next time it stalls and wont start/go into drive, splash some cold water onto it (keep a bottle of water with you in the car and drive it around the block). If it runs fine for a while after that you know what your problem is.

I got a brand new one installed for $150. (bit hard to do yourself, serpentine belt has to come off, and so does your harmonic balancer (impossible to do without a pulley)

The sensor on its own is around $70 - $80, and takes average person 45mins + to do. so all in all its worth it.

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
next time it stalls, wack ur fuel tank on the drivers side, see if will start once the pumps had a bash.

I did this for about a month when my pump was goin, u can hear the tone of the pump change.

You can also pour water on the CAS, they normally work once hit with water, try those 2 that will give a a idea on where the problem mite be.

Does it just die or slowly cough n splatter the more u put ur foot down? as in u have to accelerate slowly to get goin if its splattering....

Jst read the part where u say, got to the lights stalled, idles but when u put in drive it stalls.
That mite be ur IAC or TPS, in ur throttle body, get sum throttle body cleaner n cut sick whit ur intake hose off, will clean all the oily residue out, i have to do mine every 6months or so due to k&n filter oil.

Sumfink to try anyways