Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Clutch Fork and pedal not working!

Suss_Wagz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina Wagon
Hi guys, I am in the middle of a manual conversion, and have already got the gearbox, tailshaft, pedal box etc in... but i have now fed the clutch cable though the firewall, hooked it on the pedal and on the clutch fork on the gearbox, and even adjusting it all the way, the pedal hardly stays off the floor, and same with the fork. all the grommets and things are on the cable, and the pedal box was working fine in my last manual wagon before i took it out, same with the clutch fork. Any ideas on what is wrong? Have been working on the car for a week, and i can't use the garage much longer, and need my car for a new job i'm getting, and no matter what i try, i can't figure this out! Again, if anyone can give me an idea on what to do to fix this, it will be much appreciated, cheers.

Suss_Wagz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina Wagon
Any ideas anyone? at all? car needs to be finished and driveable today. :/

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Have you got the damper in place on the engine side of the firewall? Big metal thing that goes in between the cable and the firewall.

Suss_Wagz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina Wagon
Yeah mate, as i said, everything is there on the cable.

DavoVP

Reaction score
You didn't mess with the clutch fork pivot ball in the bell housing did you ? If you have wound that in your pedal will be on the floor no matter what you do. Is your throw out bearing seated in the fork correctly ?

Suss_Wagz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina Wagon
When i took the gearbox out of my last car, i never touched anything inside or the clutch fork, and it still pivots like it should as well, but it's loose as hell. and yes the thrust bearing is insde, when i move the fork myself, i can see the bearing moving back and forth with it.

DavoVP

Reaction score
Sounds odd, Perhaps try another cable and make sure all the bits are there. Including the big rubber / metal dampener that sits on the firewall. Also in the bell housing hard against the block ?

If these things are all good id be pulling the box back out and checking the height of the pivot ball and adjusting if need be and inspecting the fingers on the pressure plate and thrust bearing etc.

Ive had something close happen once, The adjuster on the end of the clutch cable gave up on me, Replaced the cable and its all good again. Apparently they don't like to be clutch kicked to much. ( Clutch was on the floor )

Suss_Wagz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina Wagon
I tried another cable already, also, is the clutch fork meant to be really loose? i can easily slide it back and forth and it doesn't fling back or anything?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I recently did a manual conversion on a VR 5.0L and had to adjust the fork pivot. Even though the clutch kit and flywheel came from the donor car, the ball was too far out and the clutch was semi engaged all the time. I removed the gearbox from the bellhousing and adjusted it that way, no need to take the bellhousing off.

It will need adjusting as well if you have fitted a new clutch kit.

Suss_Wagz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina Wagon
Okay, but how do you adjust it? and once adjusted and back together, should the fork be hard to move by hand, and spring back when you let go?