Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Commodore Glovebox broken

mforno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
My glovebox locked shut and when I pulled it snapped.
Does anyone know how I can fix this?

I have taken some photos.

f70z.jpg

t62f.jpg

c4tg.jpg

qshi.jpg

5bso.jpg

defecat0r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Series 2, v6 5-speed, LPG
well, it looks like the prongs have broken out of the latching mechanism, that's an easy fix with a new glove box from the wreckers. Just clear out the box, prize out the black plastic pin in the back right corner with a screwdriver, then wiggle the tray out remembering there's another fixed hinge pin on the left side.

Can't really see from the photos but looks like the switch that turns on the light is all mashed up? dunno how you'd fix that. I'd probably just leave it if the light's not on.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
last time i was at the wreckers i tried my key into every glove box lock till one worked. tried about 15 cars then got one. you never know you might work for you too.

is it just the light switch itself thats broken or is the square hole its mounted into broken as well? if you can get behind one of those switches at the wreckers you can carefully pry it from the back and push it through the front. pull up on that black retaining clip (U shape one) on the glove box lock and it will fall out. no need to replace the whole glovebox door.

then if you can get at your broken switch with a pair of pointy noise pliers and maybe try and break it into smaller pieces without stuffing the 2 connector prongs that hook up to it, try and manipulate it through the square hole. pull your interior light fuse first or remove the golvebox light in cause you accidentally short it. thats how i might tackle it, bit of trial and error. just try and get those wires out of the hole and replace that switch..