Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Commodore Handbrake Broken, but have the spring to fix it.

Arothgar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Hey,
having trouble with my VN Commodores 1990 handbrake. Originally the button got stuck and the handbrake was stuck partially on. Managed to "sort it out" (pulled the cable in the handbrake to disengage it). I do have the spring for the handbrake.

So i guess what I'm trying to say is, I need help in figuring out how to get the spring back in, so the handbrake can again work.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
did the metal rod fall back into the handle? its a bit of a stuff around to trying to get it back if thats the case.

Arothgar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
It might be, not too sure. New to being round cars and trying to fix them

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
is the handle stuck in the up position?

Arothgar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
No, initially it was stuck between up and down and wouldnt move any further either direction. Managed to disengage it by pulling the metal rod with needle nose pillars. So currently its in the down position .

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
The plug can jam because they get a bit gummy and swollen with age. I sanded mine a tiny bit smaller in diameter on a linisher belt sander and then coated it with shellac to stabilise the surface. That stopped it jamming.
The plug seems to be just a friction fit onto the metal shaft so I epoxy glued mine back on because it flew off a few times. I also discovered that I had to put a little shim in the top of the hole first so that it didn't push on too far. Don't want it disappearing into its own handle cos then there's no button left to push on to have it release. Sounds like a bit of a stuff around but in reality was straightforward enough altho I am lucky in having the materials on hand to work with.
Got it all fitted and then secured with tape for a few hours till the epoxy hardened.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
if i remember right theres a washer that the spring sits on, dont let it fall down into the handle. otherwise a magnet on a stick is in order.

Arothgar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Damn, dont know about the washer. Just tried to put the handbrake down after someone put it on and got stuck and later found the spring for it. Is it easy to remove the handbrake all together, if so then just might buy a new handbrake.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
dissect one at the wreckers, you dont have to buy it if you break it... thats what i always do if its its a first time with something...

Arothgar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Does the spring sit in the handbrake grip? because the button doesnt work, if bushed it wont re engage (if that makes sense).