Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vn commodore help

ripper_commodore91

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 Holden commodore vn limited edition 5 speed
need some help I was driving on the highway in 5th gear back from work sitting on 110 car didn't show any signs of any faults, it lost power the revs went down and I lost speed instantly I have replaced the battery and took it for a drive and it did it again has this happened to anyone before or does any know what may be wrong with the vehicle

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
so after the car died your battery was dead too?

maybe your alternators voltage regulator packed up, alternator stopped charging and car was running off battery till it was drained... possibly this, but only if your battery was dead after the car stopped running....

ripper_commodore91

Reaction score
Members Ride
I left it for 15 minutes and it started up straight away but I did a voltage test on the battery and it was 275 cca when the factory cca was 650

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
grab a multi meter and see what voltage is coming off your alternator. usually 13.6 to 14.2 is usually the norm.

if you dont have a multi meter, loosen the 2 bolts on your alternator, drop drive belt, pull the 10mm bolt out and swing the alternator up to the right, and remove/inspect your voltage regulator. the brushes (contacts) wear down and loose connection.

ripper_commodore91

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thank you hi_ryder much appreciated anything else you suggest checking I was thinking it may be the coil pack or the crank angle sensor

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
well it could be the stuff you mentioned too, but checking your voltage reg is something that will only cost you your time... start with that and go from there.... see what voltage the alternator is charging at too if you can...

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.

ripper_commodore91

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks everyone have checked the alternator and it is reading at 14.2volts so that eliminates that

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Try pulling each fusible link out over night (or however long it takes to flatten the battery) until you find the one that doesn't drain it. At least that will point you in the right direction