Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn commodore memcal problem

Whiteford88

38PONT
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman 5.7L
I bought a new memcal chip off ebay the other month and couldn't find the time to put her in.
Today I just finished putting it into the ECU (It was the actual chip, not a whole new memcal) and the car starts just fine, while putting out a rediculous amount of new touqe (I can't seem to pess the accelerator without the wheels spinning, it idols at 1,500RPM and when i take my foot off the break it sits on 20km/h(just some of the noticable things)) The throttle response is great, the power is definatly there, but, my check engine light keeps staying on and it's really making me worry! And the radiator fan will NOT turn off?! even when the ignition is set to "on" and the car hasn't been started, a few seconds later the fan boots up? even when the car has been sitting there over night? :hmmm: :axe:

If someone knows the solution to the check engine light please CALL me on 0408644793 because I need this car working TONIGHT. If you are uncomfortable calling or can't be efféd calling, please PM me asap this is really important! I will be surfing around in real time trying to find out a solution myself also, but any help is appriciated beyond belief!!!

Craig.

P.S: Forgot to mention, it's a Holden Commodore VN and the chip is an SV3800 (ABSY file tune)

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
the computer is stuck in "limp home" mode. this means you didnt install the chip correctly, so its defaulting to a safe tune(hence the high idle and fans not turning off).

pull the memcal, and check your soldering. if soldering is all good, put the memcal back in and be sure it clicks down fully at both ends. if it does, and still has the check engine light on and same problems, chuck the old chip back in.

Whiteford88

38PONT
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman 5.7L
That makes perfect sense. However why is it producing so much more torque than it used to if it's gone into limp mode? Or would it be because of the high idol that it is just making me feel like there is more torque?

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
the safe tune is far from clean and smooth, thats what makes it feel torquey. its there purely so the car runs, chews through fuel like no tomorrow, wont stall at lights, etc, but it runs.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
exactly its not running on the chip and its only to limp off the road really dont go thrashing it LOL

vnv6wags

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 9c1
are these sv3800 chips on ebay worth buying wat about the burnout tune chip any good?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I had a SV3800 chip in my car for about 3 weeks.

Now had greenfoam tunes for lets see 3 years. Delcowizzman chips are just as good if not better.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The SV3800 tunes are better then standard but can be improved up on.

PM Delcowizzid if you want a real good tune

personally, if you were going to buy a tune online, it is better to get the complete memcal rather then just the chip. soldering them in can be a pain in the ass unless you are reasonably good with a soldering iron.

How the F*** am I meant to know, I didn't even get a chance to run it :p

chill mate, i don't think the question was aimed at you in particular.