Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VNCommodoreBraah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
hey everyone this is my first post on this site..
having problems with my 1989 VN Commodore it starts but idles bad, its running on all 6 and when i put it in another gear like drive or reverse it almost stalls and sounds like its thirsty for petrol this only happened after i tried cranking the engine over without much fuel in it, i understand the fuel pump can stuff up doing that, but after putting petrol in it it still starts fine ? just runs really bad, and smells like petrol also black liquid most likely condensation mixing with exhaust fumes is coming out the exhaust PLEASE HELP cheers also blows out a decent amount of black smoke.

Last edited:

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Black smoke - Running rich.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Dud temp sensor, dud O2 sensor, dud fuel reg, the list goes on.
Do you have an ohm metre to test the temp sensor?

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
You could try searching vn running rich, black smoke etc.

VNCommodoreBraah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
Dud temp sensor, dud O2 sensor, dud fuel reg, the list goes on.
Do you have an ohm metre to test the temp sensor?
yeah a few people have mentioned about the O2 sensor i have no idea where it is located though
an I'm pretty sure the temp sensor needs replacing but i didn't know that would have anything to do with how the engine runs ?

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
The temp sensor tells the engine how hot/cold it is and adjusts the fuel to suit, so if the sensor is out of spec, reading cold when hot, the ECU will inject more fuel thinking the engine is cold.
It is one of the major sensors...

VNCommodoreBraah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
The temp sensor tells the engine how hot/cold it is and adjusts the fuel to suit, so if the sensor is out of spec, reading cold when hot, the ECU will inject more fuel thinking the engine is cold.
It is one of the major sensors...
okay cheers mate tomorrow ill be changing the O2 Sensor and temp sensor, my fuel pump should be okay considering the car starts fine right ?

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
yep.
Don't get the cheap ebay trident temp sensor, they only last a month or so before they go out of spec.

VNCommodoreBraah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
yep.
Don't get the cheap ebay trident temp sensor, they only last a month or so before they go out of spec.

okay to easy cheers for the help mate will get back to you sometime tomorrow and let you know how it goes.