Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn commodore transmission leak

Zfmaster

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn commodore
Hey all. Pretty new to the commodore game and just picked up a VN. Starts and drives beautifully but has a transmission leak. Doesnt really piss out but leaks a fair bit and only leaks when its running. I jacked it up and saw a few drops on the two steel transmission cooler lines. Could it be leaking from these two lines? Any help will be appreciated. Cheers all

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Hey all. Pretty new to the commodore game and just picked up a VN. Starts and drives beautifully but has a transmission leak. Doesnt really piss out but leaks a fair bit and only leaks when its running. I jacked it up and saw a few drops on the two steel transmission cooler lines. Could it be leaking from these two lines? Any help will be appreciated. Cheers all
Clean the lines and see if you can find the leak. Talcum powder from a puffer will make them more visible. The rubber hoses connected to the steel lines are probably due for replacement- most of my leaks in this are have been due to cracked hoses under the clamps or lose clamps.

Zfmaster

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn commodore
Clean the lines and see if you can find the leak. Talcum powder from a puffer will make them more visible. The rubber hoses connected to the steel lines are probably due for replacement- most of my leaks in this are have been due to cracked hoses under the clamps or lose clamps.

thanks for the reply. I will try get underneath it today and see if the rubber hoses are leaking. I Iooked yesterday and saw the steel lines the join in the trans had oil all over them. Could it be leaking from the join to the trans?

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
thanks for the reply. I will try get underneath it today and see if the rubber hoses are leaking. I Iooked yesterday and saw the steel lines the join in the trans had oil all over them. Could it be leaking from the join to the trans?
Yes, that's why you need to clean the pipes and transmission around the pipes to find out where the leak really is.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
What does the transmission sump look like - any sign of leaks from the gasket?

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Your new here so I've gotta ask. You are sure the oil on the transmission pipes is transmission fluid? Not engine oil that's sprayed on to the pipes.

Zfmaster

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn commodore
Your new here so I've gotta ask. You are sure the oil on the transmission pipes is transmission fluid? Not engine oil that's sprayed on to the pipes.
Hey mate. Sorry for the late reply been busy as. Yea 99% sure it is trans fluid as i know its not engine oil and the power steering fluid surely isnt making its way down the transmission. Ive checked the fluid of the trans when cold and its way past the full line and when the cars warm its still over the full line?

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
You have to make sure the transmission is not over filled- that causes the fluid to churn, over heat and quickly go brown and smell of burnt caramel. The over heated oil does the transmission no good at all.

Any more findings on the exact point of the leak?

Zfmaster

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn commodore
You have to make sure the transmission is not over filled- that causes the fluid to churn, over heat and quickly go brown and smell of burnt caramel. The over heated oil does the transmission no good at all.

Any more findings on the exact point of the leak?
I was thinking it was probably overfilled. But where is the excess fluid coming from is there like an overflow tube that the oil comes out of? Other than that where else can the fluid be coming from? It is missing the flywheel dust cover but doesnt seem to be coming from there

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Can you clean up the area of the leak and get a photo of where it starts from?