Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn commodore transmission leak

Zfmaster

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn commodore

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Are you sure the flared unions are tight on the transmission and maybe the power steeringpipes - you may have 2 leak sources.?

Reactions: Lex

Zfmaster

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn commodore
Not 100% sure as i cant really get any tool up in there to tighten the unions. And the power steering pipes look all fine but i dont know.
Are you sure the flared unions are tight on the transmission and maybe the power steeringpipes - you may have 2 leak sources.?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You need a flare nut spanner.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
https://ibb.co/hKKj31V
https://ibb.co/j6HMwpZ

Here is a photo of it uncleaned and where the oil is and its red which means it either trans of power steering
Looking at the second pic it may well be coming from the front seals in the box, as I had on a VP after a dodgy prick overfilled the box.
It was coming out the front of the box and blowing along the lines.
Mine stopped leaking after it got down to the correct level.

Zfmaster

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn commodore
Looking at the second pic it may well be coming from the front seals in the box, as I had on a VP after a dodgy prick overfilled the box.
It was coming out the front of the box and blowing along the lines.
Mine stopped leaking after it got down to the correct level.
I was thinking the same thing because when i bought the car and drove it home there was a considerable amount of oil on the floor but even though I checked the oil the other day it is still full so it might be still overfull?

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
FWIW you must check thew oil level either when the car is running and at operating temperature, or straight after turning it off.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
FWIW you must check thew oil level either when the car is running and at operating temperature, or straight after turning it off.
I do it running in park to make sure the torque converter is full, and cycle the transmission through forward /reverse just beforehand.

Zfmaster

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn commodore
I do it running in park to make sure the torque converter is full, and cycle the transmission through forward /reverse just beforehand.
Yea i did exactly that. I didnt run it all the way to half way on the temp gauge but the car was warm i cycled drive and reverse a couple times and checked the fluid while the engine was running

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Yea i did exactly that. I didnt run it all the way to half way on the temp gauge but the car was warm i cycled drive and reverse a couple times and checked the fluid while the engine was running
The fluid has to be at normal working temperature 83-93 deg C. The GMH workshop manual says to run a cold car for 24km before checking the fluid level.