Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vn commodore upgrades

turbo05

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn v6
right i know theres already afew threads about vn upgrades but throught id put up a thread an see if there are any thoughts on what i can do i been on here alot lately trying to get ideas for my vn v6 i want speed an performace mainly i have so far done

2.5inch bigbore
headers
v8 throttlebody
chipped computer

i think thats it, i dont wona speed big bucks but what are some cheaper mods thatl make a differce?

and how much differnce does cai make?

Whiteford88

38PONT
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman 5.7L
The best thing for you (and your car) is to realize it is a vn V6, they have enough torque and the car is light enough to play through the first and second gears comfortably, and generally a constant climb in third to 180 - 200 (on a straight road).

But the v6 doesn't put out large amounts of power, and from memory of working on a few project VNs you couldn't push more than 175kw @ the wheels until you upgraded:
Push Rods
Springs
Oil Pump

Leave your VN the way it is and learn how to drive the vehicle as an entity better. My VN Commodore has had nothing but a 2.5" catback sports, an actual SV3800 memcal & computer + loom & dash from my mates SV3800 wreck, and a K&N air filter, but the difference is I've looked after my car & constantly keep it serviced & running on the best fuel.

Truth be told mate, there isn't much you can do with a VNs 6 cylinder for worthy power gains without reaching far into your pocket. One day I was walking throught a carpark after work and saw a man standing next to one of the most immaculate VN Commodores I had ever seen, not a bolt unchanged and he popped the hood and there stood a stroked 4.4L with a Watercooled Supercharger (running 6psi at the time) and he said when he uses his drag pulley and has the charger on 14-16 pound (Which the block struggles to handle as is with a .6L volume increase) the end result was around 200-220HP at the wheels.

I advise you pump your money into keeping the car safe and roadworthy & doing up the exterior and interior until you get your black license and then f*** the 6 off and drop an Aero motor (I think they're called, I believe they are a 6.3L V8) or drop an LS1 / Original Holden 5L.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
Boost boost boost. The only way you can get any real power out of a vn is with fi. You can port your heads, stroke it and cam it, but you won't get any exiting power figures. Throw on a turbo and you'll have atleast as much power as a stock ls1. And they will take it too those engines. The Buick regal was a factory turbo 3.8ltr v6.

Read through delconwizid's ride thread. 290rwkw's with a stock bottom end.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Some you can do are:

1) VS V6 CAI off the supercharged models.
2) Oil cooler for the gearbox - they hate being warm. (get the biggest one you can afford/fix)
3) Twin thermo's off a AU or better yet a Mondeo. The AU ones draw far to much current when on.
4) Biggest battery you can find.
5) Upgrade the Factory battery terminals, and add a 0 guage ground strap off the negative terminal to earth bolt nearby.
6) LSD diff? everyone like to see a VN v6 rip a huge skid. Doing it with both wheels is bragging rights with VN V6 owners.
7) Alloy radiator - The V6 gets HOT, even in normal conditions. A V8 one from a VS works. Don't get one with the screw on connections for the gearbox tho, unless you run an external cooler, as suggested above.
8) K and N or Lukey air filter
9) give it a MAJOR service - replace every fluid with only the best and replace the spark plugs. NGK iridium's I think are the best (off the top of my head)
10) Replace all heater hoses and heater tap. And while your at it, ALL power steering and cooling ones too.

Do all this, and she'll treat you well. Also think about replacing the waterpump. And if you go all out, the timing chain. No one likes to hear timing chain rattle. Was the best thing I did on mine. Went like the clappers after doing all this.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Then after all that,

Boost it until you brake something....

And you will.

Bilby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
3 words from me. WASTE OF MONEY. Save your money and buy a car with everything you want already in it.

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
3 words from me. WASTE OF MONEY. Save your money and buy a car with everything you want already in it.

I've never seen a car just how I want it. That's why I mod them. Besides, I like to make them mine. Not just a means of getting from A to B.

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
And to answer the OP, the best things I did to my VN were better brake rotors and new suspension. Then some seats that hold you in place when using the better cornering. But that's my preference. Lots of ideas here to choose from that fit your taste.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Don't search it's fine. Refer to the thread in my sig.