Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN commodore - want to open hood, latch broken

SSmith

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT Exec
Hey everyone. Was searching the forums earlier and haven't found a solution yet, so I've created an account to ask myself.

My parents recently bought a VN commodore at auction, and we want to strip it down for some parts for our own VN before we tow it down to the wreckers.

The problem is, the metal rod / cable connected to the hood latch is missing, so pressing the button inside the car doesn't pop the hood, and after removing the grill pulling on the latch at the front of the hood doesn't seem to do anything either - there's no wire rods connected to it.

Any ideas how else we can get the hood opened? We are able to smash / break into it if needed (as we are taking it to the wreckers anyway), just not sure where the best place would be and preferably don't want to break anything we might want to use again later in the other car.

If you need pictures / video / better description, please ask.

Thanks!

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
lie on your back under the front and find the end of the bonnet pin in a hole in the middle of the upper radiator support youll see the spring that holds it shut up in the hole get a decient size flathead screwdriver and pry the spring over to the side and it will just pop open

Warranty Void

Take it apart? Me? No!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina LX V8
As delco said but it may be easier to do if you get someone to put pressure on the bonnet downwards (closing it more) to take some pressure off the latch, then they can lift the bonnet when you tell them.
Alternatively if the cable is still connected but too loose to move the latch you can undo the 3 screws on the side of the dash near the door jamb and remove the side dash cover, this will let you get at the bonnet lever properly and pull it free from its pivot so you can pull the handle with the cable attached as far as you need to for the latch to operate.