Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vn crank?

kane88

Reaction score
Members Ride
bf xr6 daily, vl project, wb ute project
hey guys, looking at upgrading the poor ol' vl and buying a vn or vp etc (i know, dream big, right) but i've been told the early vn's have a crank problem - something about being too weak or something similar??

can anyone tell me how i would go about identifying this? (pretty sure he said it was series 1 only but thought id ask anyway)

is it a common problem?

i'm doing a quick search for this as i type, but any additional help would be really appreciated guys. I just dont wanna get stuck with a lemon is all.

cheers

Last edited:

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
early vn's had different cranks for auto and manual and don't fit anything else.
the problem is in the other differences in the engine.
If you are looking for a new car then stay away from the vn and get a vp, a MUCH better car to drive.

kane88

Reaction score
Members Ride
ahh k.
the way i took it there was a problem with the crank holding up under load, but thats not too bad then.

what makes such a big difference between the vn and vp? is it better steering response or quieter road noise or smoother power transfer?
apparently the vn has more torque too but im not sure it would make a great deal of difference between the two...

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
keep the rb30 youd be a foold for chucking a v6 in it. If the motor is stuffed just get another rb30j

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
keep the rb30 youd be a foold for chucking a v6 in it. If the motor is stuffed just get another rb30j

he wants to get rid of the vl all together

kane88

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah just over the vl as a daily, looking to oull it apart and drop the twin cam head on top of a turbo system, but i need to have it off the road for a long time, as im not exactly made of money, so i need a relatively cheap and easy to repair daily for the meantime.

here in CQ vn's and vp's go for around $600 so i was lookin to grab one and go from there. just got spooked when i was told they had weak cranks is all.

thanks for the help guys

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vp 3.8 with gas new project vn s1 guted strip only
vn and vps are good as pub said there cheep to fix and reliable and to boot can handle a reasonable flogging