Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn cranks over but won’t start

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Spac series 1, VN Calais series 1
Need some help with my dads V6 VN Calais series 1. The car cranks over but will not actually start. The basic rundown is the car got a brand new exhaust fitted and the next day it wouldn’t start just crank over. It sounded like it had a bad fuel pump and would run on a can of start ya bastard so we replaced the fuel pump with a brand new one which did not make it run again. So far we have checked/replaced about everything to see why it’s not running this includes all 3 coil packs, dfi board, brand new spark plugs, lifted the injectors to see if they are pulsing which they are, fuel regulator, oil pressure switch, all relays and fuses including under the steering column, compression test which it got about 140 psi, brand new crank angle sensor, swapped MAP sensor off another VN, after all this plus more things I can’t think of the car still won’t run any thoughts of what to do?

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Yeah,cutting to the chase has it got a spark to the actual spark plug?,if so has it got fuel?,has it got oil pressure?Are the valves working in the correct order.Check with a pressure gauge.
Check CAS again,there is a trick(forget what it is) to see if the CAS & DFI Module are working OK.
Otherwise it must be a break in the wiring loom somewhere or relay/fuse is not working.

After saying all that it sounds like you know as much as me so hopefully someone else will Post.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Are the spark plugs wet from getting fuel but not firing? I'd have a good look at any wiring that could have been disturbed when you fitted the exhaust.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
If it runs on the aerosol, it must be a fuel related problem.

Reactions: Lex
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah,cutting to the chase has it got a spark to the actual spark plug?,if so has it got fuel?,has it got oil pressure?Are the valves working in the correct order.Check with a pressure gauge.
Check CAS again,there is a trick(forget what it is) to see if the CAS & DFI Module are working OK.
Otherwise it must be a break in the wiring loom somewhere or relay/fuse is not working.

After saying all that it sounds like you know as much as me so hopefully someone else will Post.
It has got spark to the actual spark plugs, it has got fuel. I originally thought it was not building oil pressure but I’m unsure of how to test that. Also how would you test the valves.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Are the spark plugs wet from getting fuel but not firing? I'd have a good look at any wiring that could have been disturbed when you fitted the exhaust.
The spark plugs are a little wet but mostly just smell like petrol. We have had a look at wiring but most likely going to get a electrician to check over everything if we can’t fix it.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Also another thing is the car turned on and worked perfect about a week ago after swapping the start and EFI relay but a couple hours later when we tried to turn it on it wouldn’t work anymore. This makes me think it might be wiring or an alarm that’s possibly faulty?

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Probably is wiring if it lo longer runs on start ya bastard. Any ALDL codes? With a V8 you can test the fuel pump with a test light on the violet terminal of the ALDL connector- it might be the same with a V6.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Probably is wiring if it lo longer runs on start ya bastard. Any ALDL codes? With a V8 you can test the fuel pump with a test light on the violet terminal of the ALDL connector- it might be the same with a V6.
I’ve checked for codes and I only get code 12 pretty sure this means everything is all good.