Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn cranks over but won’t start

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Spac series 1, VN Calais series 1
Bridge the fuel pump relay.

I have a lead with a spade terminal on each end for occasions like this
Hey mate never bridged a fuel pump before, how would I go about doing this so I don’t mess it up

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Please note : If you put the bridge wire in, the fuel pump will operate even if the ignition key is off and/or removed.

Here is how to work out what to bridge.
Remove fuel pump relay and on the side you will see a diagram like this picture below....
relay wiring.jpg

When the power is applied across 85 and 86, it will close the switch between 30 and 87.
If you look under the realy at the pins, they will be numbered.
So the bridge can go across 30 and 87. Just need to find the corresponding terminals in the relay socket.
Look out for some relays have pin 87a, so dont use this one as it wont be connected.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just an update I have bridged the fuel pump and just like woteva said the fuel pump was running even with the key out the ignition. The car still did not start just cranked over so I’m assuming the oil pressure switch works perfectly fine. I have also gone under the steering column and removed the aftermarket alarm system completely and converted the cars wiring back to factory which also had no effect and made the car still just crank over so chances are the aftermarket alarm was fine. My next thoughts are to replace the ecu with another one and see what the car does just to make sure this isn’t my issue. Would a manual vn ecu work or would I need to get an auto vn ecu. Also would a auto vp ecu work thanks.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Try removing the FP relay and crank it over a few times to use up the fuel in the manifold. Then leave the FP relay out and try some SYB again. It could be flooded and you may need to pull the plugs to dry out the cyls. .

Reaction score
Members Ride
Recently got it starting again got an auto electrician out and turns out the ECU was faulty. We tried about 4 ECUs but all were faulty besides one.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Glad it's working but you must have been a bit unlucky to get 5 bad ECU's in a row.

Reactions: Lex