Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Cruise Control

yanna88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S1 3.8
Hi all, recently bought a complete cruise control set for my VN off ebay and got it installed as per the instructions given by the bloke i bought it off ( he has sold a few) and i cant seem to get it working, i have everything connected the way he has said, when i turn on the headlights the buttons light up no worries, and on the dash the CRS light flashes when i turn on the ignition but nothing else happens?

Any ideas from any one will be greatly appreciated even the bloke dont no what is wrong help!!!! Please!!!!!!

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
will need some more details. ie is it a factory cruise setup or aftermarket. have you put in the switch on the brake and is it set right?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Hi all, recently bought a complete cruise control set for my VN off ebay and got it installed as per the instructions given by the bloke i bought it off ( he has sold a few) and i cant seem to get it working, i have everything connected the way he has said, when i turn on the headlights the buttons light up no worries, and on the dash the CRS light flashes when i turn on the ignition but nothing else happens?

Any ideas from any one will be greatly appreciated even the bloke dont no what is wrong help!!!! Please!!!!!!

The main problem with a VN cruise setup is that they made changes to the wiring during the production of over 3 years.

The brake switch is a common issue.

Also the speed signal is different too. It will tell you on the back of your cluster what wire needs to go where.

I have a sheet made up by another JC member.

Last edited:

yanna88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S1 3.8
its a complete factory setup and it came with 2 brake switches i am sure it is setup right got everything plugged in where i was told it had to go and followed the instrument cluster as to where the CRS plugs into.

Anything else i have left out tell me and ill include, i just wanna get it workin??

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
If its not engaging - I'd put money on the signal not going to the correct spot in the cluster or the control unit is dead. The VN's can have 1 of 2 polses from the speed sensor. Cant remember what they were.... 2 or 5 something like that. - But my control unit was faulty - so when that was replaced it all worked fine.

yanna88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S1 3.8
yeah the control unit was faulty and got that replaced now that part works so ill have a look at the speed sensor it is in spot 5 now ill try 2 just to e sure is there any certain year they would differ?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Changes from the first update in late 1989 I think.....

speedyvn

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Acclaim Wagon
If its not engaging - I'd put money on the signal not going to the correct spot in the cluster or the control unit is dead. The VN's can have 1 of 2 polses from the speed sensor. Cant remember what they were.... 2 or 5 something like that. - But my control unit was faulty - so when that was replaced it all worked fine.

um I think I might bring this subject alive again... How do you test to see if the control unit is dead?

Might be a stupid question.... links and pics are always great ;)

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
How about this its for a vr/s but you can do the same test by putting the little jumper wire across the connector on the back of the switchblock across the blue and grey/black wires or across tha same coloured wires at the stepper motor.

Attachments

• cruise diag.jpg
    cruise diag.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 2,531
  • cruise diag2.jpg
    cruise diag2.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 832