Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN dash lights + tacho issue

timmy_tam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN calais 91
did it still work?

i put the connectors in wrong, and i smelt something burn inside the cluster
and now the indicators won't work (don't turn on, or making clicking noise, only hazard works)

all 3 clusters have the same problem now, even tho i smelt it from one clsuter, i think it's probably wiring, as how can all 3 go when i fuked up one?

here are some picts of the mess i made, the 'bcm' and the ecu

Last edited:

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
I'm just looking through the wiring diagrams in the manual to try to see what those modules are. Have you got a repair manual? If not I can scan some wiring diagrams if thats any help.

I think the module under the steering wheel might be for the trip computer and instruments. You will also have a module for cruise control,one for door locks, one for anti-theft and one for climate control if you've got that.

The VS cluster didn't work after I fried it! You could see the burnt wires on the back of it. Did your clusters smoke at all? Mine poured smoke out pretty soon after I put it in, so I ripped it out again in about 3 seconds flat.

timmy_tam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN calais 91
heyyy
yeh, i saw smoke, coming from the back of the cluster

i've got a gregoy's manual, not much help tho
if that is the module for trip comp and instruments, could that be fried? could i just need a replacement?

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
Going to ask a fairly strange question...did those clusters actually come out of a VN/VP? Because the ones from VR's onwards need to be rewired to work in the VN otherwise they do smoke.

timmy_tam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN calais 91
they all worked, well, to a certain extent, but otherwise they still worked
it wasn't like i put them in and they started to smoke right away