Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN dash lights + tacho issue

timmy_tam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN calais 91
hey all
as you know, i fuked up my clsuter
but figured out what was wrong, the connectors were in the wrong way

so put them in the right way, but have new problem

- tacho doesn't work (could be sticky, but i've tried 3!!!! different clusters and none work) my oringinal cluster worked, but doesn't now
- lights all over the place
when i have the first orange connector in right way, indicators don't work but immobilsor does
when i put it in the wrong way, indicators do work but immobilsor doesn't

i've tried 3 different clusters and still ahve this issue
any help?

timmy_tam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN calais 91
found out the conenctions at the connector don't work

how do i fix that?
because the wires are connected to the loom, and tha'ts connected to god knows what

what should i do?

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
Depends how confident you are about starting to rip the car apart!! It could be as simple as a poor connection or bad earth further into the loom, but you won't know unless you start trying to trace the problem back. The other (possibly expensive) option is an auto electrician.

Did you alter the connections or add bits to put your new cluster in? If you did I would start by looking at this, as you say it all worked OK beforehand. Also check fuses to see that none are blown. Its a long shot but gotta be worth a try as its easy to check them.

timmy_tam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN calais 91
thanks mate
an autoelectrican is the last resort, at least until i figure out for myself whta's totally wrong so i won't be wasting time

could the ecu be wrong here? just because 3 dfiferent clusters do pretty much the same thing? (ie no tacho ?)

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
It's a small possibility the ECU could be playing up. You could see if anyone on here has a spare one they could let you try so that you can rule it out. Have you still got the alarm problems?

I'm not sure if the VN Calais had a Body Control Module, but if it does I would try a different one of these too, as I would have thought that's what controls the functions you've talked about earlier.

It might be worth putting a shout out to see if you can borrow an ECU and BCM (if your car has a BCM) from someone to check if they make any difference when you change them.

timmy_tam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN calais 91
hey there mate
thanks for the tip!

yes, it does have BCM, two in fact (one in drivers side kickpanel, the other behind the passenger side glove box)

didn't know the BCM could affect the clsuter dash
i'll see if anyone can help me out, can you? :D

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
Unfortunately I don't have many spares yet, but i'll keep my eyes open in the wreckers when I go!

Just a hunch the BCM could affect it with the cluster you've got (plus your immob. and indicator problems), but i'm not 100%. Thats why i'd try a different one as I guess they just plug in. It's easier than pulling the loom apart looking for bad connections etc!

timmy_tam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN calais 91
thanks man
i'm really confused
alot of people state that the VN doesn't have BCM
which begs the question "WHAT AM I LOOKING AT?"
i'll get picts tomorrow

doctor rob reckons it's wiring, so i'll check that out tomorrow too
will keep up to date with more questions :D

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
Yeah, I suppose you could have killed some wiring in behind the cluster. When I tried a VS cluster in mine with the connectors in wrong, it just burnt the PCB on the back of the cluster though. All the other wiring was fine!