Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN dies in reverse

paddyj

Reaction score
Website
www.paddyjoy.com
Members Ride
VY Berlina
My VN dies when I put it in reverse while turning the steering wheel. I recently changed the power steering pump so don't think it is that.

Anyone have any ideas?

jack.mc

Nothing witty to say :(
Reaction score
Website
www.jacks-lounge.com
Members Ride
VN Vacationer
I know on full lock mine gets a bit spluttery some times - it doesnt stall though. I'd like to know why as well...

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
you are maybe holding the brake on while selecting reverse, but not braking when selecting Drive. turning the wheel will load the power steering, as will putting it in gear (D or R) and pushing the brakes. that could be what's causing it to stall...

the problem could be pwer steering pump (you changed it, but with what? i bought a 'reco' one once which clearly wasn't..) or idling problem with engine.

paddyj

Reaction score
Website
www.paddyjoy.com
Members Ride
VY Berlina
I must try it while pressing the brake. Changed it with a brand new holden one, didn't want to chance a reco one. Before I changed the pump it was much worse, used to die everytime I locked the wheel!

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
Ever though transmission,i know my mates vn sometimes stalled in Reverse sometimes and soon found out the Trans was a bit funny

paddyj

Reaction score
Website
www.paddyjoy.com
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Actually has been acting a bit funny recently, takes ages to go into gear in the morning. Maybe that's just the cold?

stockvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec,honda civic,mazda626
id say if you get a new earth cable to the body and one to the engine itll be sweet id say its a bad earth, when you change them get thicker ones yoe can get them from autobahn bout $25 all up i reckon

commy92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP WAGON V6
inhbitor switch...

stockvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec,honda civic,mazda626
paddyj said:
are they easy to change?
the one to body is very easy but the engine is a bit tricky not hard at all though ialso had the same prob and did the earthe cables and a sway bar link conversion which put less pressure on steering