Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vn diff(disc to disc) into vl

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
will a vn diff (whole setup disc to disc) bolt straight into a vl? or are the disc setups able to be fitted to my existing drum diff?

I ask because vl disc diffs are hard to find but the vn items are sitting in any wreckers and I read somewhere than the vn has a narrow track.

ucwepn

Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
also can I use a vn booster/master cylinder in a vl? all vn onwards have 4 wheel discs don't they?

ucwepn

Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
I have found the answer to my question and its the vn diff (disc to disc) is 30mm wider on each side than a vl unit, but all the disc brake gear can be bolted on to the drum diff without much hassle.

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
without much hassel?
mjst be some trouble otherwise people wouldnt buy the VL rear disc breaks would they. only for the higher ratio and LSD...

ucwepn

Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
its not the diff I want to swap, I want to remove the drum brakes and replace them with the vn brakes onto my existing diff and axel. all the components are a straight swap I believe, I will need vn discs, calipers,disc bearings, hubs, vl disc handbrake cable and a 4 wheel disc master cylinder. There may be some more bits neede not sure at this stage.

I have already got some turbo front calipers for the front (not fitted yet)so I'm checking prices on 290mm discs.

Last edited:
S

Steve-0

VN diffs will bolt straight in. they are wider that VL diffs so you'll need the axles shortened if ya wanna have wide rims

ucwepn

Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
kewl thanks for that, will vl axels fit a vn diff?

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
Steve-0 said:
VN diffs will bolt straight in. they are wider that VL diffs so you'll need the axles shortened if ya wanna have wide rims
maybe some offset rims

ucwepn

Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
I wanna keep the 18's that I have if at all possible, I'm thinking just get a drum diff from a vl and rebuild it with vn disc setup, do vn/vp v6 use the same type of master cylinder as a vl 6 cyl na (4 wheel disc)? To use the turbo front brakes that I have will I need a 1 inch master cylinder/booster? or can I get away with just a normal 4 wheel disc one? If I fit the turbo brakes to the front and leave the drums on the back for a while can I use my existing master cylinder?

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
so that sounds like a much better idea then getting a VLT diff just for disc breaks... one question, how do you shorten the axel?