Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vn diff fit into a vs ?? solid non abs

hsvwgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 HSV Wagon, VP GTS
Hi gmh_vr and all

All live axle commodores VN-VS are the same length disc-to-disc. There are slight differences in shocker brackets between wagon/ute and sedan, but they are all the same width and therefore interchangeable with minor mods too.

There is a difference in the 'track' between VN,VP and VR,VS sedans however. The difference is in the offset of the wheels between the two, not the diffs. (do you really think GMH would re-engineer diff assemblies between similar models for 13mm? I don't think so!).

So go ahead and swap the diffs as they are exactly the same.

Cheers all

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Hi gmh_vr and all

All live axle commodores VN-VS are the same length disc-to-disc. There are slight differences in shocker brackets between wagon/ute and sedan, but they are all the same width and therefore interchangeable with minor mods too.

There is a difference in the 'track' between VN,VP and VR,VS sedans however. The difference is in the offset of the wheels between the two, not the diffs. (do you really think GMH would re-engineer diff assemblies between similar models for 13mm? I don't think so!).

Cheers all

Wrong. VN-P housing is definately shorter than a VR-S housing. Wagon and ute also run a slightly longer housing than the same sedan variant. Run a tape measure over all of them as i have and all will be revealed.

Having said that a VN diff will go in a VS and work fine provided that the wheels are standard. Bigger wheels will more than likely rub on the inner wheel tub.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
do you really think GMH would re-engineer diff assemblies between similar models for 13mm? I don't think so!

I think they would, as the vn/vp was based on a vb/vc/vh/vk/vl floor pan and the track was to short. even all the front suspension is interchangeable between vb-vp so once again yes i think they re-engineered the vr/vs diff to suit the wider body properly (even if all it was is half an inch), the 15" interceptors i've seen are 43p offset, and they're off vn/vs and vt (even have some early 14" commodore rims that are 43p) only different ones i have here are stamped with UTE and are thicker metal and are 37p offset.

Last edited:

gmh_vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr acclaim
Thanks for that I will let him know to only run standard wheels cheers again

Having said that a VN diff will go in a VS and work fine provided that the wheels are standard. Bigger wheels will more than likely rub on the inner wheel tub.

Sharpie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp S1 Exec
Hi gmh_vr and all

Cheers all

wtf, absolute bullshit.....
my vp v6 diff was noisy so i bought a whole live axle set up rotors axles the lot from a low milage vs. Ripped out the whole unit and compared both a found 13 mm wider.

Looks a little wider which im not happy about but it sure has less body roll and about 5yrs younger.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
I suppose it won't hurt if I chime in :).

Yes, VN-VP 5-link are different in width to VR-VS.

All the standard steel wheels VN-VZ i.e. not ute, not IRS, have the same 43P offset as per Jxw ^.

The exceptions to the rule are VN GPA and SV5000. They used an axle with the sedan linkage hardware and VL wagon width to allow different wheel offset and a wider front track without also altering the rear (too much).

If you already own the axle, I'd try it and see what you think of how it handles (it is noticably different). It's only an hour or so of work to swap them, if that. If you don't own it but, say, have been offered one from a mate or something, I'd decline it and find the correct part.

Holden/chev

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy ss 5.7 sedan, vs v6 ecotech bucket ute
I cant see 6.5 mm being an issue. I mean, why would it. Abit of persuasion with a ballpein hammer on the inner gard would work surely. Without beating the crap out of it off course and doing it nicelly without making it look like sour grapes lol

Holden/chev

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy ss 5.7 sedan, vs v6 ecotech bucket ute
There are inconsistencies whith what everybody is saying. I've just bought a vn live axle diff for my vs ute. Im waiting for a nice sunny day to fit it coz its pissing down here in NZ, Hawkesbay. I'll put all this theory to rest and sort it. I have some mint vf 20" rims I'm hoping will fit. Once the diff is fitted im gona fit the 20" rims, put jackstands under them and rest the weight of the ute on the jackstands and then put a straight edge across the rims and see where it meets on the inner and outer wheel wells. I currently have 18" BSW's and no issues at all. Im hoping for the appropriate offset on the 20" rims. I'll keep yous posted with pics to put everybodies minds at rest. I have these exact 20" rims to fit and the other ute is mine waiting transformation. See how this goes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210210-082139_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210210-082139_Gallery.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 72
  • Screenshot_20210128-000657_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210128-000657_Gallery.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 89

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Wheels have different offsets combined with different tyre widths and profiles that will change how they sit in the guards.

To get a true measurement measure the total width of the diff from the outside edge of each axle flange (with the brakes and rotors removed).

If you can get accurate measurements I'll post the info in the diff thread.

Now I just need someone to measure VR/VS and wagon/ute models....