Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN driving light upgarde.

Dave6179

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais, HJ
G'day you fullas, I'm thinking of having another crack at getting the lights working better. I tried the big bulb trick but just melted the fuse and it's holder together. I've tried fancy blue bulbs, then learned as you get older your vision changes and the blue light reception deteriorates... still poor lights. So, I am now thinking about bypassing entirely the factory high beam system and fitting a seperate relay with matching wiring and fuse to refit the big bulbs again. Over here in NZ we are not allowed more than 4 high beams... although a lot of jappas can still have 6! but illegally.
Has anyone done this yet?

Duh, title sposed to be 'upgrade'!

dans_vz

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual & MY13 VDJ76 Cruiser
I put HIDs as my high beams, bright as, love them. It isn't legal but it is only high beams not low ones so really doesn't affect anyone.

Dave6179

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais, HJ
Does here. 6 monthly vehicle safety checks ping us on some real stupid ****. And illegal HID install will get picked up.

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
A few things with a VN you might want to consider- old lights/lenses with sandblasted glass and faded reflectors on the inside will be rubbish no matter what you do. So if required, I would replace the headlights- aftermarket are affordable these days on ebay.
then i would take a look into Narva etc who now sell Plus120 type globes that give much more light - go to their website for a look.

The "blue" light type globes generally fare worse vision wise, especially in the rain.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
^^^^ Yup!

The other thing that might help is powering your lights directly off the back of the alternator. You can find a voltage difference of about .5 volt on these older cars. Not a massive difference but since your considering upgrading the wiring and using a different relay.... well instead of taking power from the battery, just use the big terminal off the alternator. But new lenses will give the biggest boost.

Dave6179

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais, HJ
Tried new aftermarket lenses... poor spread of light. Have gone back to good GM lenses.
Tried the +120's... lasted less than 12 months. Now using +50 long life.
Have measured the voltage at the bulbs... all at 12v. A VK we had measured at 9.8 and 10.2! I fitted a relay (after replacing everything else) and ended up with daylight at night.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
12v? should've been a lot higher than that mate.

Dave6179

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais, HJ
I'll check again... it was a while ago. Just replacing the brakes at the moment, too much else happening.

Yankus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
You can put HID's legally into it but you have to replace the entire headlight assembly. Its when you put HID bulbs into standard headlights the
man gets angsty.

Dave6179

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais, HJ
Of course the VN SS came out with driving lights in the bumper. I reckon I should be able to get away with fitting some anyway. Bloody shame I just sold a set!
Apparently they were Hella as std, maybe 181's? I've seen round spots on a VN and they just didn't look right.