Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Driving Lights, Help with VN SS Wiring!

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Hey I have the VN SS switch in the centre console next to the A/C switch and I now have the driving lights installed (see attached pic)...

Ok heres the questions. I want the driving lights to come on whenever I press the switch...Therefore a relay is not necessary correct?
If so can I just hook the driving lights up to the wiring for the rear wipers and have the switch plugged into that wiring...(theres no relay for those otherwise I would connect the driving lights to the relay for the rear washers and wipers).... Will the wiring be sufficient for the driving lights or wont it be able to hold enough power?

If I DO need a relay, can somebody please tell me what each of the 5 wires are that are meant to connect to the rear of the driving light switch and which ones I will need to connect?

Also, is a 20amp fuse enough for driving lights?

Attachments

• Driving Lights.JPG
    Driving Lights.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 455

SlowVac

Owner of a SlowVactioner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SII
Ideally driving lights should go though a relay. You have to find which connection of the switch power which would be the trigger (86), then a main power (30) can use 15-20amps, (85) would be the ground and (87) would be connected to the driving lights.
I give you advise the holden relay in the fuse box are different the general configuration in relays.
I would use a 40amp relay but a standard 30amp relay can be used.

For the foglight switch you would need to use a multimeter to determine which is contunity also the foglight switch has two options.
Either the switch off (use of highlights) or switch on (parking lights).
I have done it but can't remember which one but the connectors would be used for ground, 2x trigger for highlights & parkinglights and light for the switch.

I hope that helps

SlowVac

Owner of a SlowVactioner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SII
As for the cabling connecting the lights stright up would melt the wiring over a period of time.
For connecting the lights use a 20amp cable and power to the relay.