Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn ecm change

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S Pac...(S for sexy)
Hi all me again wanting to try something stupid again
Can I put an ECOTEC ecm in a VN? I know they have different connections but if that all was changed to suit would it work?
I’m thinking VX or VR I have one of both
Or can the mecmal be swapped into it

Don’t ask why, I just want to know if it can

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
No. Ecotec has a number of differences anyway compression ratio being the main one, but that's a tune issue. Ecotec also uses a MAF sensor instead of a MAP sensor, VR doesn't have an Ecotec (you can't use a VR one anyway due to a different security signal, same for VS Ecotec ECU, VATS off will fix it), VX ECU needs to be linked to a VX BCM or have VATS turned off.

If you say what you're trying to achieve people might be able to point you in a better direction.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yes and no... To do it the way you're suggesting, then no. However yes anything can be done with enough money....

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It can be done but the question is why?

No point going to an ecotec PCM unless you want to run a MAF and tune it that way.

You can run the VR PCM, the only real advantage is that it has the faster communication onboard which is great for tuning but not much else.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

You can run the VR PCM, the only real advantage is that it has the faster communication onboard which is great for tuning but not much else.
But wouldn't the trans fail to function since the VR runs a PCM, with different trans?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Set it up for manual and it's all good to go.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah all comes down to budget....

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S Pac...(S for sexy)

No point going to an ecotec PCM unless you want to run a MAF and tune it that way.

But wouldn't the trans fail to function since the VR runs a PCM, with different trans?
No. Ecotec has a number of differences anyway compression ratio being the main one, but that's a tune issue. Ecotec also uses a MAF sensor instead of a MAP sensor, VR doesn't have an Ecotec (you can't use a VR one anyway due to a different security signal, same for VS Ecotec ECU, VATS off will fix it), VX ECU needs to be linked to a VX BCM or have VATS turned off.

If you say what you're trying to achieve people might be able to point you in a better direction.
_R_J_K_ I want a tuneable Ecm and from what I have heard VR’s have that (yea??) I do believe mine have been chipped “stage 4 auto” is on the side but whether or not that still exists
The maf sensor you talk about is that the gauze thing in the induction? I have one off a VT purple R8 (that’s all I know about it) I’m guessing V8?
What’s VATS?
And I’m after a 22:1 fuel ratio or close to ( I don’t care what people think I want to do it :p )
And what’s the compression difference
And I was also told that the VR had a Buick and an ECOTEC

Losh so I need to shift the auto manually and it won’t kick down? Or because it’s electric shift I can’t?

Immortality what do you mean by set it up for manual?
And I want to tune for a lean fuel mixture *yes at it again with another approach*

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
VN ECU is just as tunable minus some features like sequential injection.

22:1 (why such a specific ratio) will just grenade the engine and next to zero VRs had an Ecotec.