Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vn engine?

sydd131

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Calais
i have a vn calais, engine has 290,000kms on it, wanting performance, would i be better off rebuilding that engine good pistons/rings and get it bored out a bit, or should i just buy one of the stage 3 engines from Home Page im not allowed a v8, as i wanna be able to drive this car when i hit my p's, however i do have money to spend, OR should i sell the vn as it needs a respray aswell (has 3 or 4 patchs of rust, only small but dont want them there.)

opinions pls?

VPplayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
You shouldnt sell it just because it has a problem or two. No matter what car or what year it was made, you will always have problems.
I personally would rather fix her up because that way you know what has been done to the car.

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
You shouldnt sell it just because it has a problem or two. No matter what car or what year it was made, you will always have problems.
I personally would rather fix her up because that way you know what has been done to the car.

true BUT the difference is 1 problem a week or one problem a year... my daily is built in 1998 and i had a little spring break in a lifter and thats is apart from service items.

my advice is unless you intend on pouring lots of money into a car that will always be worth $1000 and infact decrease in value as you modify it

rebuilding isn't cheap once you pull it all apart you have to replace whats broken, parts are fairly cheap in this respect (v6 is overpriced) but assembly and getting the motor assembled correctly will cost you coin. and then your back to stock after $4000 spent, the problem with the buick is that the heads don't flow well,

im not going to tell you to sell the car or keep it, no one can, you need to decide on your own. just remember that anything you do wont increase its value much

If you want to keep the car, don't rebuild the motor, drop a ecotec in, they're pretty well flowing and you'll gain a good 20kw on the buick, especially if its in good nick, before you drop the motor in take the heads off, get some mild porting done, get them shaved research a good cam choice and hit up wade cams for a good grind. don't waste $1300 on a crow, you can get a billet custom grind for $200

finally ask green foam nicely for a tune, he sells them cheap and this will make the biggest diffrence for not much coin spent, and fit a good flowing exhaust and you should have fair performance for maybe $1500-2000. Dont waste money on ebay chips, electric supercharges pod filters, and unless you know what your doing don't boost it.

just remember going fast inst cheap. and if you cut corners you cut engine life....