Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn Firewall And Amp Power Lead

N

nielo

VN Firewall and AMP Power Lead - Penatrate the firewall - No Room!

I bought some heavy gauge power cable - I intent to connect directly too my battery (+) --> then run it under carpets to my Amplifiers in the boot..

The problem I have come accross is the existing gromets in the firewall are too full to put the cable through them, I could drill a new hole in the fire wall and put in a gromet but I dont know where I should do it?

If I use a power drill in the firewall should I completly disconnect the battery completely or just the Negative?

And what side would I drill (Battery/Drivers) or (Passanger/Computer)?

Any tips would be great..

Cheers Lee.

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
correct me if im wrong, but as far as i am aware, you arnt alowed to modify the firewall in anyway, which means no new holes, if that's the case, i would be finding room in the grommet that's already there, make room,

if it's not legal, i would remove the battery (just to be safe) and drill in threw the driver's side, less crap behind there, running it up inder the centre consile, then straing out to the back of the boot. that' sjust a thought, but im sure there is other way's

cheers
garth

D

dumpd6

there has gotta be a way to fit it thru a grommet (you will get it thru one just put some hair around it ( use force))

an even if you did have to drill a hole i dont think it will efect any chance of it passing for a rwc

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
theres a fair few grommets, you should be able to find one of them to use.

Troy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Auto 128rwkw, VZ V6 Lumina wagon stock
There's one under the brake booster on the drivers side, it'll come out near the bottom of the steering collum in the drivers footwell .

N

nielo

Thanks for the help guys, I ended up drilling in between the Brake and Excellerator as per this topic.
http://www.vncommodore.com/Forums/topic.as...p?TOPIC_ID=2421

Cheers Lee

dellarb

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SII CV8 Monaro
Garth said:
correct me if im wrong, but as far as i am aware, you arnt alowed to modify the firewall in anyway, which means no new holes

Does anyone know if that is the deadset truth (in WA) because i put 2 holes in my firewall of my VK for high grade power cable and other hook up lines for some relays i mounted. Is it a big prob? (legally)

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
it normaly takes 8 minutes for a fire to break through a fire wall, but with a bare hole it will drop that time down to 5 minutes and you wont pass rego, the only way you could do it is put another gromet in somewhere where it cant be seen properly. but it depends on how the rego guys days been. usualy if you take the effort to put another gromet in they dont mind

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
I never was aware of drilling holes in firewalls are illegal, my car had passed rego. I also drilled a hole between the brake booster and accelerator.

Cheers,
Jim 8)