Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vn handbrake

vn_lexcen_s2

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 lexcen vn S2
does anyone know how i can fix my handbrake. its really wierd. there is no like button or anything. it may have snapped. the actual handbrake stays upright and wont go down any further nor can i pull it up any further. its kind of half way up. i dont know how to fix it. i cant drive it anywhere to get it fixed so i was wondering if u could do it myself.

thanks matt

SlowVac

Owner of a SlowVactioner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SII
It sounds like you need to change the entire handbrake leaver. Get a manual and it would tell you how to change it.

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
I know it may sound stupid, but the plastic grip that goes on the lever hasn't moved up, covering the button has it? Mine does that sometimes and it makes the button a pain to press in until I move the grip back down the lever. May not be the answer, but it only takes 2 seconds to check:thumbsup:

I'm not sure on Commodores, but on most of my other cars it has been possible to release the ratchet that holds the handbrake on without using the button. I'll go have a quick look at mine.

Edit: Just checked and if you unzip the (fake) leather gaiter that goes around the handbrake, you can see the ratchet and the part that locks the handbrake in the UP position. All you have to do is move the locking part away from the teeth of the ratchet using a screwdriver or similar and keep it away from the teeth, then the handbrake should release. Just make sure you have a good grip on the handbrake lever so you can let it down slowly once the ratchet mechanism is released or it may go with a bang!

Hope it's something simple anyway.

Last edited:

vn_lexcen_s2

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 lexcen vn S2
SlowVac said:
It sounds like you need to change the entire handbrake leaver. Get a manual and it would tell you how to change it.

what kind of manual would be needed. the one that came with my car or a different one.

cheers
matt

ps. how would i be able to take it out so that i can fix it or replace it with another one. or will it tel me that in the manual??

vn_lexcen_s2

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 lexcen vn S2
i checked the lexcen manual i had in the glove box but it didnt tell me how to replace it......doesn anybody know how to replace a handbrake. i will have to get another one.

cheers
matt

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
vn_lexcen_s2 said:
i checked the lexcen manual i had in the glove box but it didnt tell me how to replace it......doesn anybody know how to replace a handbrake. i will have to get another one.

cheers
matt

A Gregory's manual or something similar should tell you what you need to know. I got one off eBay for under $15.

Not had any luck releasing it?

vn_lexcen_s2

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 lexcen vn S2
nope. like i said. its really weird. its been like half way for ages since my dad had it. he was lazy and didnt get it fixed and kept driving it. ummm when i look down the shaft of it i can see this thin metal pole wich i think connects to the button i try to puch that down with a screw driver or something but it wont work. i took a closer look just before and just underneith the shaft i see these to adjacent prongs but they are not touching the teeth of the circular cog. i have no idea what the problem is because i cant get in close because of the handbrake lever is still there. i can pull it up but u do not here the clicking sound. yet u can only push it down a certain amount untill it wont go down any further. my dash is already out and i looked down the side of the carpet and i saw a bolt that looked like it was connecting it and i took it out(that was a bitch coz its hard to get to) but it did nothing. i have no idea what to do

cheers
matt

vn_lexcen_s2

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 lexcen vn S2
what is the name of the manual that i need to get