Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN headed 308 manifold

VHCOMMO87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X
Hello all, I'm trying to decide on a manifold to go on my VN headed 308

Motor specs are:
308 with VN heads, comp Around 9.8:1 , cam around 230 - 250 @ .050" can't remember off the top of my head.

I'm looking at the torque power low rise dual plane for my combo but I wanna be 100 % sure it's the right choice before I spend $900. Any advice would be really good cheers.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Apparently tp low rise is the best choice for a small cam and standard vn heads as you describe. [email protected] is around a 286 which isn't exactly big - and 10:1 compression is about right for that cam.

Call Craig from Torque Power and he'll tell you to buy the low rise dual plane and likely give you some good background info and knowledge. I spent over an hour on the phone to him which was actually after I purchased my TP low rise dual. He's very happy to chat which is great. Haven't fitted it yet though.

The Harrop dual plane manifolds have very mixed reviews - and have been told by a number of people to stay away from them. Not sure though. Good reports for their single planes though.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
They used the Harrop dual plane manifold on the early BNT V8 series in NZ. Those motors made over 400hp with that manifold port matched to stock heads with a small solid FT cam (I believe around the 234°/234° @ .050") but if I was to buy one I'd probably go with the TP dual as well.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
How does the edlebrock airgap rpm manifold compare with both of them.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I hear it works reasonably well but no ones done back to back test yet (that I'm aware off) comparing it to the locally produced offerings.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Apparently they’re a copy of a ford manifold, just with holden port spacing - so runner lengths and plenum design haven’t been optimised for the Holden engine.

Been told theyre good for mild street engines, but if you want to make some serious power best looking elsewhere. This is from a very credible source.

I bought one but sold it on. Would’ve had no issues using it myself. Casting quality and design features with the tp and edelbrock side by side, the tp wins for sure. But that’s why they’re double the price I suppose.