Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN headed 308 power steering conversion questions.

VHCOMMO87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X
Hello all I have a 308 with VN heads going into my VH, I'm going to put vn-vs power steering in for better header clearance. So far I have vn-vs V8 k-frame, vl intermediate shaft and VN power steering rack. Do I need to use a vn-vs V8 power steering pump bracket?? Also will the alternator need to be moved over to the passenger side heads? And will it fit with the standard VH battery location?

Cheers Tom.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
You didnt mention if you still had all the old 308 head parts as in brackets, p/s pump and lines and alternator and if you have/want air conditioning as in compressor and bracket.

So far I have vn-vs V8 k-frame, vl intermediate shaft and VN power steering rack......... Yes these work together with the pacemaker 5700 extractors made for p/steering for better clearance.

Do I need to use a vn-vs V8 power steering pump bracket?? Also will the alternator need to be moved over to the passenger side heads? And will it fit with the standard VH battery location? ....... Well if you have the vn-vs 304 head parts use them, especially the shorter hydraulic p/s lines as they run next to the drivers side chassis rail, the old 308 lines run under engine sump from the passenger front side.

If you still have the 308 stuff, use them. From memory Im sure they fit the head/timing case holes and this will keep the set up original to 308. If you go for the 304 head setup with pump and alternator on opposite sides this will bolt up and work also, just check what belts you use depending if you have a/c.Both ways will clear your VH battery.

Also consider the loom wires will probably be to short if you put the p/steering pump on original vn-vs head drivers side.