Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Headlight Globes

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
I am going to replace both standard headlight globes in my VN as one low beam filament is blown. Standard bulbs are 60w Hi & 55w Lo.
As I have done with every Commodore I have owned I was going to buy 100/90 globes.
Three Auto shops I visited today all said that the plugs melt if you install these globes. I have never had a problem before and bulbs and plugs are the same on Commodores at least from the VH to the VN (probably on all but I don't really know).

All three tried to sell me the "blue bulbs" for $30.00 for the pair so maybe they are not moving enough stock.

Is this a real problem that someone has experienced or did they just try to get me to spend $30 instead of the $14.00 I paid?

Any thoughts or knowledge on this?

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
I've had 100/90 watt H4 bulbs in all my GM cars and never had a problem, although some people did say that I would melt my wiring. Other people I know have also had high wattage bulbs in their GM cars with no problem. I suppose it's something that could happen, but I don't know anyone who has experienced it yet!

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
Cheers
My experience is identical to yours thats why I fitted the 100/90 bulbs anyway. I might just check it from time to time to see if anything does happen to the plug but as I said I have not seen anything before.

millencolin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Exec 3.8L V6
hey all i have heard is that u should upgrade the relay but i would run it as it is and replace the relay when needed, changing the relay is only for the hight current draw.

cheers
al

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
I had 100/90 bulbs on a VH and it melted the plugs. Changed it back to standard after that. Might be more of a prob in summer as the heat cant run away well.