Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN heads on 308

atrail308

RIP King of the Mountain
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VH SL/E 308
Just a couple of questions about putting the VN-VT EFI heads on a 308...

- Will my HEI dizzy go with the EFI cam?

- Will VN extractors fit in the engine bay of a VH?

RVK 355

M0DERAT0R
Reaction score
Members Ride
The real R series 355
Yes you HEI dizzy will still work, with the cam (same firing order) VN extractors may fit, you can buy extrators especially for putting VN heads into early girl commodorores

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Dont you need a different cam aswell, VN onwards type, due to the changed order of the valves in the EFI heads?
AirStrike :air:

atrail308

RIP King of the Mountain
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VH SL/E 308
yeah, i'll be getting a crane 276 cam to suit EFI... Just deciding on the manifold now... bit of a toss up between the harrop and the power-torque, anyone use either of these???
As for the extractors, i've found some pacies to suit the VB-VK body for EFI heads...

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
you dont need a different cam they are the same
the blocks are the same the cam bearings are in the same spots the cam gear for the dizzy are the same.
ive done some research because i wanted to use the stage 3 out of the 253 in the hz in the soon to be built 355 and was told by many people they will fit and work the same

hot308vb

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs clubby project car & crappy vs v6 ute daily
xcop5l said:
you dont need a different cam they are the same
the blocks are the same the cam bearings are in the same spots the cam gear for the dizzy are the same.
ive done some research because i wanted to use the stage 3 out of the 253 in the hz in the soon to be built 355 and was told by many people they will fit and work the same

na xcop5l youre wrong the efi cam lobe placement is different to the old carby cam lobes. holden had to move the valves around in the vn heads to get those massive ports they wanted and that meant moving lobes on the cam.
if you install a carby cam into a motor with efi heads youll do major damage to valves, pistons etc by valve to piston contact.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yep, the inlet and zoorst lobes are in a different order on the injected motor, have a look at where the inlet ports go into the head on an old holden 8 then look at the efi one, you should have noticed during your research since you have both cars sitting there :p :) :)?

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
ive only done a little research not a lot (asked around) and thats what i was told
dont worry i know when im wrong

S

simba

the harrop is the go for the manifold,vn pipes will not fit,

atrail308

RIP King of the Mountain
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VH SL/E 308
yeah, i've heard good bout the harrop, but also good stories bout the power-torque too...
they're about the same price so money isnt the factor, quality and specs are...