Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn heads

Paul hx wagz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hx wagon
I have a standard vs ss motor in my hx . I was thinking of shaving the heads to up the compression , match porting and maybe a baby cam . Is worth doing and are vn heads worth chasing down .

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Why not just shave the heads you have? It will mean a few weeks off the road. Just that 304 stuff is getting top dollar these days with people doing V8 conversions as the VN - VS, V8 bodies are becoming fewer and fewer as more and more get wrecked.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
VN-VS heads are the same, VT heads have the smaller combustion chambers. If you are doing a cam than yes adding some compression is preferable. If doing the heads, get a valve seat job and a quick bowl job.

Paul hx wagz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hx wagon
Thanks to both of you , I was hoping this was the case . I have a blown head gasket drivers side and I use the car most of the time . I don’t want a monster rebuilt . I’ll clean up the heads ect and get a small cam . Anything else you might think needs freshening up . Do you guys think the bananas are restrictive for down low revs .

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Thanks to both of you , I was hoping this was the case . I have a blown head gasket drivers side and I use the car most of the time . I don’t want a monster rebuilt . I’ll clean up the heads ect and get a small cam . Anything else you might think needs freshening up . Do you guys think the bananas are restrictive for down low revs .
Bananas give great low down torque.
They run out of huff up in the revs though

Paul hx wagz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hx wagon
Sounds good more money saved . It’s just for cruising . Thanks I’m onto it . Will look for a babe cam . Any knowledge on how much to shave off standard heads .

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Just be aware that shaving the heads down too far will mean you will have to get your manifold machined down too, I did this to my old 5 litre it was 60 thou off the heads and thinner 0.27 head gaskets and the manifold had to be machined quite a bit to be able to fit again

Paul hx wagz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hx wagon
Just be aware that shaving the heads down too far will mean you will have to get your manifold machined down too, I did this to my old 5 litre it was 60 thou off the heads and thinner 0.27 head gaskets and the manifold had to be machined quite a bit to be able to fit again
Thanks vr I am aware of this , how much do you think should be taken off .

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
If you have the intake off try and make a flexible attachment for a drill and get a abrasive on the end and try to clean the runners out.