Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN HP Power Steering Hose Removal - Help!

Mad Sheep

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S1
Hi im trying to replace the HP Power steering hose but I am not sure how to detach it from the rack. It has a large metal band around the end. Any advice would be appreciated.

NPreston

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC
I assume the metal band you are referring to is the crimping where the flexible hose is joined to the metal pipe? It's just a matter of undoing the hexagonal nut at the rack.

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Yeah,tube spanner.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
You can't just replace the hose on the high pressure side, it is crimp fitted to the metal tube because it has to be, replacing it with some hose and clamps is going to end up with flammable stuff over the hot exhaust.....

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Your best off getting a set of flare nut spanners that are specifically for removing things like brake lines as any other spanner will round the nut. they are just like a ring spanner with a slot in the end so you can get it ove the pipe.
If it's an original HP hose the tab that holds it in place near the power steering will make it hard to get off without bending it. this tab goes on to a stud that also holds the coolant pipes in place so you may also make the coolant pipe O rings leak if they are worn so keep an eye out for coolant leaks when you finish. Make sure you use a new O ring on each end of the new HP hose.

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual
Any idea what size spanner it is? Wouldn't mind getting a set of those for when I need to replace my power steering hoses eventually in my vp.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
high pressure is 5/8" or 16mm

low pressure is 17 or 19... memory is fuzzy on that one, pretty sure it's 19 but i'll check tomorrow.

these shouldn't be done up so tight that you need flare nut spanners on them, they have an o-ring for sealing and shouldn't be that tight (open end spanners should be good enough unless someone has been at it before you)

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
The flare nut spanners usually come in a set of 3 either metric or imperial so with a VN having both systems I have no idea if these nuts are metric or imperial but I think the pump may be American so the nuts will probably be imperial.

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
The flare nut spanners usually come in a set of 3 either metric or imperial so with a VN having both systems I have no idea if these nuts are metric or imperial but I think the pump may be American so the nuts will probably be imperial.

I forget but the pump,although an old design,may still be metric,GM started the long road to the metric standard with its US suppliers in the 1970's but only when a new design was introduced.