Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn Kframe Swap To VR

Qdf397

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy ute 3.8
hi all i need some help/advise, i have a vn with a six in it, im putting in a 355, i have a vr 5.0L kframe and suspention, the top strute plate from the vr to vn looks to be quit diffrent, what do i have to do to make the vr strutes fit, do i need to change or swap the controle arms.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
swap v8 k frame...all other vn suspenion etc stays on.

If it doesn't have 290mm brakes on vn already you can use the finned vr calipers & buy 290mm vn/p discs just like factory v8 models although it will stop better if you source v8 m/cyl & booster.

Probably better off doing vt 296mm brake conversion or larger ve brakes to suit 16' or bigger wheels

Qdf397

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy ute 3.8
swap v8 k frame...all other vn suspenion etc stays on.

If it doesn't have 290mm brakes on vn already you can use the finned vr calipers & buy 290mm vn/p discs just like factory v8 models although it will stop better if you source v8 m/cyl & booster.

Probably better off doing vt 296mm brake conversion or larger ve brakes to suit 16' or bigger wheels
Thanks for that, so I need to change over the control arms etc, I found a v8 booster and a master cylinder that has an inch bore, I was going to use vt calipers and vt rotors or will they not work

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Parts list:v6 to v8

v8 k frame
vn control arms,struts etc
vn/p 290mm discs & caliper (early vn v6 had smaller discs,later vn/pmodels got 290mm which were standard on v8 model)
v8 booster 1 inch m/cyl

Above is what factory v8 models had & minimum required for rego.

Later on if you find stocker brakes scare you can either do vt brake conversion..do a search to see what is involved.

Qdf397

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy ute 3.8
Parts list:v6 to v8

v8 k frame
vn control arms,struts etc
vn/p 290mm discs & caliper (early vn v6 had smaller discs,later vn/pmodels got 290mm which were standard on v8 model)
v8 booster 1 inch m/cyl

Above is what factory v8 models had & minimum required for rego.

Later on if you find stocker brakes scare you can either do vt brake conversion..do a search to see what is involved.
Thanks for your help mate I appreciate it

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
vb to vn have splined intermediate shaft & steering rack
vp have slotted shafts but same with as vb-vn...vr-s steering racks have longer steering arms to suit the different struts/stubs/lower control arms etc

So no stick with as much of the vn parts you have for simplicity to get it up & running ready for the road.

Qdf397

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy ute 3.8
vb to vn have splined intermediate shaft & steering rack
vp have slotted shafts but same with as vb-vn...vr-s steering racks have longer steering arms to suit the different struts/stubs/lower control arms etc

So no stick with as much of the vn parts you have for simplicity to get it up & running ready for the road.
Thanks mate now I've pulled it all a part I see what your saying, I'll be keeping everything from the vn and putting it on the vr k frame and I'll be using vn vp 290mm rotors. Will vr extractors fit or am I going to have to find vn Vp ones

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Basically all the same vn-vs,if you want decent pipes that work well & fit stick with pacemaker brand.

Qdf397

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy ute 3.8
Basically all the same vn-vs,if you want decent pipes that work well & fit stick with pacemaker brand.
Sweet that's what I have, another question, I have a 5 speed manual gearbox out of a vr, going into the vn that was a v6 auto, how dose the wiring work or what do I have to do, I've noticed the plug or harness if different