Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn Kframe Swap To VR

Discussion in 'General' started by Qdf397, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Qdf397

Qdf397 Member

Members Ride:
    Vy ute 3.8
    hi all i need some help/advise, i have a vn with a six in it, im putting in a 355, i have a vr 5.0L kframe and suspention, the top strute plate from the vr to vn looks to be quit diffrent, what do i have to do to make the vr strutes fit, do i need to change or swap the controle arms.

2. gtrboyy

gtrboyy Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vt ss & lc gtr
    swap v8 k frame...all other vn suspenion etc stays on.

If it doesn't have 290mm brakes on vn already you can use the finned vr calipers & buy 290mm vn/p discs just like factory v8 models although it will stop better if you source v8 m/cyl & booster.

Probably better off doing vt 296mm brake conversion or larger ve brakes to suit 16' or bigger wheels

3. Qdf397

Qdf397 Member

Members Ride:
    Vy ute 3.8
    Thanks for that, so I need to change over the control arms etc, I found a v8 booster and a master cylinder that has an inch bore, I was going to use vt calipers and vt rotors or will they not work

4. gtrboyy

Members Ride:
    vt ss & lc gtr
    Parts list:v6 to v8

v8 k frame
    vn control arms,struts etc
    vn/p 290mm discs & caliper (early vn v6 had smaller discs,later vn/pmodels got 290mm which were standard on v8 model)
    v8 booster 1 inch m/cyl

Above is what factory v8 models had & minimum required for rego.

Later on if you find stocker brakes scare you can either do vt brake conversion..do a search to see what is involved.

5. Qdf397

Qdf397 Member

Members Ride:
    Vy ute 3.8
    Thanks for your help mate I appreciate it

6. Qdf397

Qdf397 Member

Members Ride:
    Vy ute 3.8
    Would the vr steering rack work in the vn, or should I swap that over as well

7. gtrboyy

Members Ride:
    vt ss & lc gtr
    vb to vn have splined intermediate shaft & steering rack
    vp have slotted shafts but same with as vb-vn...vr-s steering racks have longer steering arms to suit the different struts/stubs/lower control arms etc

So no stick with as much of the vn parts you have for simplicity to get it up & running ready for the road.

8. Qdf397

Qdf397 Member

Members Ride:
    Vy ute 3.8
    Thanks mate now I've pulled it all a part I see what your saying, I'll be keeping everything from the vn and putting it on the vr k frame and I'll be using vn vp 290mm rotors. Will vr extractors fit or am I going to have to find vn Vp ones

9. gtrboyy

Members Ride:
    vt ss & lc gtr
    Basically all the same vn-vs,if you want decent pipes that work well & fit stick with pacemaker brand.

losh1971 likes this.
  10. Qdf397

Qdf397 Member

Members Ride:
    Vy ute 3.8
    Sweet that's what I have, another question, I have a 5 speed manual gearbox out of a vr, going into the vn that was a v6 auto, how dose the wiring work or what do I have to do, I've noticed the plug or harness if different

11. gtrboyy

Members Ride:
    vt ss & lc gtr
    If you're using complete vr engine/gearbox ecu & can extend dash harness wires on top of trans tunnel to reverse switch to get those working & tap violet(white trace) speedo wire to speedo output wire on engine/ecu harness...also bridge 2 wires that used to got to inhibutor switch or it won't crank over.

I also kept & extended vn/p v6 oil pressure switch & fuel pump wiring...vr/s is done differently through ecu & would've chewed up heaps of time for same result.

vr pinouts on plugs under dash slightly different to vn so you'll have to do search to find out what to change or make your own adaptor harness off old vn/p engine harness which was how I did mine so it became all plug 'n' play.

Electrical side took most of the time for me as vs wiring was heaps different in layout to vn or even vr...did my head in wanting to make it neat & servicable.Never again!!!!